1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Don't know what Warwick this is?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SpookyLukey, Oct 9, 2019.

1. SpookyLukey

SpookyLukey

Oct 9, 2019
    Hey Guys,

Saw a local music shop post this Warwick today. The owner doesnt know for sure what model it is, because the name is missing from the headstock. Anyway they are selling it for 675, and I want to know if that's a good deal before I check it out. Screenshot_20191009-174335_Chrome. Screenshot_20191009-174339_Chrome.

Attached Files:

2. pisces_bass

pisces_bass

Jun 8, 2019
    Central WA
    Looks like maybe a Corvette Standard.

3. The body shape looks like a Corvette. Other TalkBass users might have a more specific answer for you.

4. SpookyLukey

SpookyLukey

Oct 9, 2019
    Thank you! Is the tone that much different from a Streamer? I have been wanting one for a while.

5. pisces_bass

pisces_bass

Jun 8, 2019
    Central WA
    I don’t know. I played a Thumb bass for a few years. It had its own vibe and sound. Very dark and growly.

6. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    It is a Corvette. I have a 4 and a 5, love the tone and playability. That one looks like a bubinga body, which will be heavier than the ash bodied ones. Mine are ash.

As for the price, it seems high looking at the condition of the bass, but I feel like the prices of the Chinese built Warwick Rockbass line has driven up the prices of the German made Warwicks. It used to be that good German Warwicks could be had for around or sometimes under $600. Those days might be gone.

7. pisces_bass

pisces_bass

Jun 8, 2019
    Central WA
    Following the strict protocols regarding Warwick and Darkglass :D

Here’s one example of a Corvette in action

Tnavis, ObsessiveArcher and 31HZ like this.
  8. EmuBass

EmuBass

Jan 24, 2018
    Vienna, Austria
    on a Streamer you could have HH or PJ pickup configuration as well (they are mostly PJ, I assume). Having JJ pickups might sound quite the same in a Corvette and in a Streamer, depending on the electronics.

9. Wanker_Joe

Wanker_Joe

Sep 26, 2017
    They feel somewhat different. A friend plays a corvette, I play a streamer. I find the vette doesn't balance as well as the streamer and my friend's doesn't have that nice NS-style curved body (I don't know if any of them do to be honest). However, it's a very nice bass. Sounds like a Warwick should.

10. duckman

duckman

Jan 16, 2011
    Ghent Belgium
    I had a 97 bubinga Corvette std. for quite some time and found it a bit on the heavy side (flirted with the 5 kilo!). Although it has a non contoured 'slab' body, the balance is excellent. For a long time it was the entry model for German built Wicks and most corvettes are passive. The trade mark 'sound of wood' however is there. In my book a great 'bang for the buck' bass. Extremely well constructed and a very versatile bass. Prefer the slimmer wengé necks of the pre 2000 series, but ovangkol (like the one in the picture) is nice (albeit a bit more on the chunky side. The set price is a bit high considering the condition: 550 would be more reasonable

11. Looks like a corvette proline to me, not a standard. The pickups give it away. I owned a few corvettes in the early 2000s. FNA, Standard, and a proline. I had one of the ash body prolines in nirvana black. The proline is a passive bass and the “dynamic correction” or whatever on the pickups is the give away. The proline models if I remember correctly were one of Warwicks early attempts at a more affordable bass back before they they even had the rockbass line. They are pretty good basses imo. Made in Germany at the main factory if I remember correctly. The one I had was pretty lightweight, i can’t remember if the neck was wenge or ovankol but it wasn’t maple like the rockbass stuff. I do remember I bought it for $700 used at guitar center many years ago. Don’t see too many of them anymore.

SpookyLukey and TNCreature like this.
  12. EmuBass

EmuBass

Jan 24, 2018
    Vienna, Austria
    SpookyLukey and JeroB666 like this.
  13. JeroB666

JeroB666

Dec 22, 2012
    Canada
    SpookyLukey likes this.
  14. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    it's a passive Corvette, MIG or MIK (Korean ones were nice BTW), looks like Bubinga to me

strap buttons seem aftermarket, but that's not a big deal

15. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yes that is the old Corvette Standard, and it looks to be just the passive one too.
    To me those std's with that solid bubbinga body sound way darker than any upper level maple body Corvette or Streamer.

SpookyLukey likes this.
  16. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    +1 on proline.

On the EB-0 to Streamer sound spectrum, it'll be closer to the Streamer than anything with a Fender badge, but it won't fool anyone with intimate history with a Streamer. It is in the Warwick sound family.

SpookyLukey and ajkula66 like this.
  17. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    That’s a great price if it’s a German one, every Used German Warwick I come across is priced much higher...

18. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    How did the seller determine the price if he doesn't know what model it is?

Couldn't you have looked it up on the Warwick website?

There's not enough info from those pics to determine if it's German, Korean, or possibly Chinese. As others said, find the serial number and look it up on the Warwick website.

19. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    it's easier to find a MiG with maple neck and/or silver frets than a Chinese-made ovangkol neck or bubinga body or bronze flats though. Chinese Corvette always was maple, alder and silver frets IIRC.

matante likes this.
  20. It's definitely a Corvette standard, there's a used one at my local guitarcenter for about the same price. The one near me is German, it plays and sounds nice, if it's your thing and it feels good to you it's not a bad price for it at all.

ajkula66 likes this.