1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Don't laugh....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by boglej2, Feb 27, 2008.

1. boglej2

boglej2

Dec 3, 2007
    Dublin, Ireland
    As stupid, ignorant, foolish this might sound its an honest question. What is a preamp? what does it to the sound? whats good about them? Why do pros use em in their setup?

I can't understand what they're and feel u guys are prob best in the kno

2. no need to feel stupid about it. gotta ask before you can know..

I am no amp expert but the preamp is the part of the amp where your tone comes from.

generally an amp is two major sections.. the preamp section and the power section. The power section is where you get your power.. naturally.. and the preamp section would be your EQ... and things like that. It determines alot of the tone of an amplifier..

so when guys talk about buying a preamp (other than one you put in a bass, which is also common) what they are doing is using a preamp, and a totally seperate power amp.

this way they can mix and match power amps and preamps to get the exact level of power that they want mixed with the preamp that they like the tone of..

again im no expert but i hope that helps!

3. pre amps are the section of an amplifier that allow you to shape your tone or "EQ". I assume you are referring to the setups with a separate pre and power amp which I don't know much about but I believe buying separates gives the advantage of swapping out all different combinations of pre and power amps til you find something you like. Very versitile, but preamps are in heads and combos too, the sections where you tweak your tone and the power amp is represented by the master volume.

4. Preamps contain the EQ etc as has already been stated. But the main purpose of a preamp is to increase the level from your instrument, to line level, so that it may power the power amplifier section of any amp/setup effectivley

5. boglej2

boglej2

Dec 3, 2007
    Dublin, Ireland
    this was the kinda thin i was talking about: Ampeg SVP-BSP Bass Preamp, billy sheehan uses one

6. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    The BSP can be combined with a "power amp" such as a QSC PLX 2402, Crest C-9 or other such amps typically called a PA amp.

The BSP has a series of tubes, and controls that allow tone shaping.

You would normally not use a preamp like the BSP if you were going to run it into a "bass amp" like an ampeg svt3. This is because the SVT3 is a preamp+ a power amp. In the BSP+Power amp set up you connect the 2 boxes together with a cable. In a set up like the SVT3 they are hard wired inside the unit.

The preamp is where you can get distortion, compression, etc.

I use an eden navigator + a QSC 2402. The power amp has 2 inputs and outputs. The eden only needs on. I run the eden through the left side of the QSC and I run vocals through the right.

BTW, BSP stands for Billy Sheehan Preamp.

Take a look at a picture of a BSP. You will see a drive knob, EQ, buttons for switching channels, compression, etc. Its what gives a characteristic tone. A "power amp" typically does not color/change the tone.

I hope this helps.