Don't let the horn player drink!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by LizzardTom, Mar 21, 2002.

1. LizzardTom

Mar 16, 2002
    Did a wedding gig two weeks ago with a three piece jazz group. Very upscale wedding, infact it was at a house that was owned by one of the Back Street Boys at one time. Things started out great and the band was sounding fine. We were told to help ourselves to anything at the bar. The keyboard player and I have a few beers, but our horn player really helped himself to the bar. I found out later he was hanging all over the bride. Thank God that she and her new husband were three sheets to the wind also. We ended up staying two hours after to sober him up, feeding him wedding cake and coffee. O'h well. Got payed well.:rolleyes:
  2. Chip

May 2, 2000
    wow getting paid to play music and get drunk!
    what a life you must have :)
    or your horn player :p
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Sounds familiar. :D

When I still played the violin, we did some trips with the music school orchestra.
    The brass people always drank the most.

Ah, teenage memories :D
  4. slade

Apr 5, 2001
    I would rather have a drunken horn player, than a loaded drummer... talk about a frickin' nightmare!!!
  5. LizzardTom

Mar 16, 2002
    The whole time we were playing I thought he was drinking white wine. He was filling his wine glass up with Sambuka (sp?). OUCH!!!!!!! He was so SH#t faced.:rolleyes:
  6. I read this expecting to see something involving recycled alcohol in mid-note, and a ruined brass instrument. Now that would have been a horror story.
  7. He probably got drunk because he found out a Backstreet Boy used to own the house, and was embarrassed to be there....;)
  8. LizzardTom

Mar 16, 2002
    I wish I had this house. It was about a $750,000 house. It was cool house in a nice gaited community. This was the house he lived in when they first made it. I can only imagine what he lives in now.
  9. :eek: No wonder!

Before a gig, my whole band enjoys a good couple of shots of bourbon together, its like a bonding thing and helps us loosen up a bit. But thats just going too far! Its cool that your band has horns though.

DanNowhere, I dont even want to think about that!
  10. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    One of the many micro brewery bars in the Seattle area (Rockbottom Brewery for those who care)gives the band free beer all night long. One of the bands that I was in that did not tax my playing ability in the least would play there quite often. There were a few times where I got completely hammered by the middle of the second set.. the rest of the band always said I sounded great too, even when I was completely hammered... That surprised me. I generally don't drink more than 1 beer a set when playing, just so I can stay sharp all night long.

Anyways.. that's my drinking and playing story.
  11. LifeSpitter

LifeSpitter Guest

Apr 6, 2002
    Bass Heaven
    Well folks what do you expect when his name is beermonkey....
  12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I bet the horn player played his trombone when he got home! :D