1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Don't let this happen to you *pics*

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MarkyMark, Apr 11, 2006.

1. MarkyMark

MarkyMark

Dec 11, 2005
    this strongly applies to anyone with a first generation Neon. The rest of you can take note as well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Waterpump blew after an hour drive. I was about 3 miles from the house and it was 2:30 in the morning. $45 in a tow and I'm not happy.
    BUT this is my fault since I let the waterpump go over 150,000 miles before giving it any thought. I started hearing an intermittent squeal that day but it wasn't anything like a waterpump squeal. I had some suspicions but I just ignored them... boy, that was dumb.

Let this be a lesson (learned by me the hard way) to all you about your waterpump. Please change this whenever you get the headgasket done (for the Neon people). Don't wait or you'll make a huge mess like I did and you'll have to buy two timings belts instead of one.

It took me a little while but I cleaned up the antifreeze off the ground and then it rained a few hours later so I think the little critters running around here are safe.

_________
    I got this fixed already and I fixed another problem I was having. The waterpump was randomly seizing up and jerking my engine. I amazing my timing belt didn't break and my engine being interference, that would have DESTROYED my valves and possibly damaged pistons as well.

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Sucks, man. After I took my younger sister's 93 Taurus off her hands (and after it'd overheated on her several times) my waterpump failed, and I drove it home several miles. Mind you, it was also the middle of summer. It survived...the 3.0 vulcan is a solid engine.

Best of luck with your Neon.

3. Looks a lot like my car, except I have a stratus.

What part of missouri are you from?

4. MarkyMark

MarkyMark

Dec 11, 2005
    high school in Jefferson City and college in Columbia but I'm in the middle of transferring out of MU and trying to get into either Indiana State or Mount Mercy College in Cedar Rapids, IA.

The car only cost around $150 to fix (did all the work myself with the help of a friend).

Putting the stock crank pulley back on took two hours alone. I don't have the tools to compress it on so we had to bake it in an oven at 450° for 45 minutes. Even then we had to get a deadblow and then used a mini sledge hammer to get it on... I wish I had the money to get an underdrive pulley, aluminum expands much nicer than cast iron.

Now I can freely rev past 6500 without fear of my timing belt snapping off.

Oh, ADbassman, if my engine looks like yours, you probably have the 2.4L. Mine is the 2.0L. Pretty much the same; in fact, a lot of Neon guys have put the 2.4L engine in their cars to give it more torque, it is also a nice turbo motor.

5. MarkyMark

MarkyMark

Dec 11, 2005
    Here is an engine pic, it should be nearly identical to yours.
    well... apart from my one cam versus your two.

[​IMG]