Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dont like my ampeg any replacement suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lil'bass, May 12, 2004.

1. Ive got an svt-3 pro and im not sure i really like the sound of it. Its a bit too dirty and gritty. Ive heard great things about eden heads. Im looking for a punchy round tone (not the gritty grind i have at the minute-ive tried lots of eq settings but it still has that 'pick' clack and i dont even use a pick!!)
    I use a warwick Corvette FNA Jazzman so i want to maximise the depth of that warwick tone.
    Help....Please

2. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    Try eden for sure, and mesa m-pulse...

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    IMHO, Eden's sound more woolly, and almost aggressive.

the Mesa might be a better match. better still, try an SWR. i've been really impressed with the Workingman series heads these days. great round, fat sound that wont break the bank.

4. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I went from Ampeg stuff to a GK rig... 700RB Head and 410 SBX and 115 SBX cabinets.... and I am super happy with how punchy this rig sounds!

P@

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    From what you describe, I would get a Mesa Boogie head of appropriate power (Walkabout, M-Pulse 360/600, Big Block). Boogie nails the punchy round tone on the head, but does so with musical mids and clarity (when you want it - you can also overdrive the preamp tube and get a nice distortion). The Thunderfunk head would also likely fit your bill. And the iAMP 800 certainly can get a punchy round tone, if you are the type that likes to tweak.

6. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    Mesa Boogie. I am a former Ampeg guy who loves his new boogie

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    The GK is pretty *modern* sounding. Not sterile at all, just clear and bright. Flexible EQ though so it's a pretty flexible head. The Eden character is a bit too warm to my ear. Wooly is a fair description. Their cabs seem a little bright to my ear and that may be to compensate ... I have yet to hear anything from SWR that really grabbed my ear but they do have a good rep and it's probably just a matter of taste.

For my uses, separate pre & power is the way to go. Not really popular in the UK from what I hear but my rig for pretty low dough covers the bases better than any head I have come across.

8. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    I've found the boogie stuff to be very loud. From what I understand, the M-pulse 600 peaks at something like 2400 watts. I have a 360, and it is not even comparable to other 350 watt heads. Louder than the SWR bass 550 that I tried.

9. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    here, here. I too am a convert.

Im sorta a hybrid though. A Mesa Walkabout ontop of a Ampeg 6x10....although soon to be 2 Agi GS112s.

The minute i plugged my Walkabout in, my bandmates eyes lit up and tons of complements were spewed about how ,uch better the tone was.

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That little Walkabout is amazing, isn't it? When you consider all the tone and volume that it packs in a 12" by 12" package that you can carry over your shoulder (with the oh, so cool gig bag), it'll put a smile on your face every time!

11. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Hells yeah! When played out of it for the first time at my LGS i was floored. So when i saw one used in mint condition i snatched it...thankfully they also were glad to take my Ampeg B2r from me....it served me well but the Walkabout will serve me better....The gigbag is sweet....I played a show the other night out of an 8x10 and yeah...the tone is well it rocks! Alot of complements.

12. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I was playing at church the first time with the Walkabout Scout combo, and everyone was talking about how great it sounded. The Pastor, a very accomplished guitarist and bass player, walked in and said that it was the best bass tone he had ever heard in the church in 25+ years of being there. I have used SWR, an Ampeg 115HP combo and an SVT Pro head on a PR410 cabinet in the past, and he and I both think it is the best tone that I have ever gotten! :hyper:

13. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    From what you said, another vote for mesa and eden.

14. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Hated my SVT-3 Pro. Had an SVT-4 Pro that, after some rigging by my tech who figured out some incorrect directions, had volume out the wazoo. Nice, but not my tone.

I dug a Mesa 400+ for a while, but now I am a GK guy. Have a older 700rb for smaller gigs (that thing can pump tho), and the newer 1001RB II, which is stupid loud. I play it through an Aguilar GS112 and an EA VL210. Wow, that is all i can say! The most portable, bad ass sounding stack I have ever had, I sacrificed nothing with going this would. Actually, I had an Eden 410XLT before I threw the Aguilar in, and I still and getting about the same response. I am at 12 o-clock on the level ond volume of the thing, and my guitarist has volume syndrome. It will kick!

15. I too am a Mesa owner, and I'm really impressed with my Mesa/Boogie Bass 400+ head and my Mesa/Boogie Diesel 2x15. Really great sound, really versatile tone, all the power and punch youll ever need. If you can find one, you wont regret it.

and if youer sound has a "picking" sound when youre not using a pick, its probably the kind of strings your using(GHS boomers, i find, have this porblem)

16. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    Once you do Eden you'll never go back.