Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

don't listen to bass music?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by cole, Apr 12, 2001.

1. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    wasn't sure where to put this one, so I chose "miscellaneous"...

I don't listen to music for the bass. I prefer to listen to songs that are well-written than songs that have a good "groove", and I usually pay more attention to the other instruments than the rhythm section. also, I only know a handful of songs on bass, because I get bored with a song if it takes me too long to figure it out. (I play by ear, I don't use tabs -- but that's another conversation entirely)

if someone asked me for my favorite bassists, I'd reply with Colin Moulding and Chris Squire, just because they're in two of my favorite groups, XTC and Yes. I've never heard any of the bass "greats" like Jaco, or Victor Wooten, or whoever else. (of course, jazz bores the hell out of me, so that might be the reason for that)

(actually, this may be indicative of a larger problem: I'm starting to wonder if I chose the wrong instrument. unfortunately, because I'm so lazy, it's impossible for me to change to something else.)

any thoughts on this?

2. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    i'm with you cole. to me, all music with a bass is bass music, but I don't really care for "solo" albums by bassists. just not my thing.

3. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    That's pretty much my story, too.

4. I agree, Cole. With the bands you mentioned.. XTC and Yes.. you get the whole package: great songs AND great bass players. I gravitate toward a lot of music because of the bass playing, and some of that music is bass solo stuff, but my favorite music is song-oriented. And there are so many bands with great bass players and great songs. You CAN have both!

5. I'm with you too. I would probably never buy a Dirk Lance or Stephan Lessard solo bass CD, but I love the way they play with Incubus and DMB. I recently had a "solo" bass CD given to me....and it bored me to tears. Sure the guy was a great musician, but I need more than technique and theory to hold my intrest. I need a good hook.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Same thing for me, EXCEPT, I will make it a point to search out music where the bass is performed by someone that knocks me out. But, my latest purchases included Lisa Stansfield, (not much bass happening by design), and Nelly Furtado, (where's the bass?, on some cuts).

When more than just the bass is happening, I have to listen several times so that I can concentrate on different instruments/vocalists each time.

You really owe it to yourself to check out some of the "greats" though. The writing is often solid, and a major reason many of them are "greats" is because they know the music doesn't revolve around them. They most definitely "groove."

Keep listening and playing. You may not find jazz, but there's a good chance jazz may find you.

On the other hand, maybe you are lazy, (you said it, I'm just restating it; I'm too lazy/uninterested to get chin-deep into tech stuff). In that case, most instruments you can consider changing to will require too much effort.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...it depends. FWIW, I was never a fan of the Fusioneers' chops-for-chops sake releases.
    That said-
    ...how 'bout a bass-led album by Mingus? Or Dave Holland? Or Ben Allison, Scott Colley, William Parker, Paul Chambers, Ed KungFuqua, etc
    Electrically, Jaco's debut, Word Of Mouth, & The 30th Birthday Concert are about the music & not merely a bass-fest with dig-me-licks. Both of Gary Willis "solo" cds are about the music; same for Oteil Burbridge's Love Of A Lifetime cd. Now, you may hear these guys pushing the envelope...regardless, IMO, it's done in a musical fashion.

8. Primus is really bassy (Les Claypool is in it), but I love their songs and moshing and singing along and stuff like that.

9. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    I only listen to solo bass when I need a new challenge to figure out. TAB SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. I didn't listen to bass music that much, but I like a lot of Jaco's songs, especially "Come On, Come Over" cuz it's got a really funky feel and it just sounds like a guy groovin', not giving a damn about how fast he can play. That being said, the Jaco cd is not one I listen to very often, compared to my other cds. I'm really into a lot of blues, jazz, classic rock, funk, and newer stuff as well. I've been on a Weezer and Incubus fix for some reason lately, and I really like the bass playing of these bands, but I also like the songs too. John Coltrane's Giant Steps (which has Paul Chambers on it) has nice walking bass which sounds really cool, and it's not all about being flashy. So I really don't listen to a lot of solo bass albums, but there are always exceptions (like Mingus and Jaco) that I can dig.