Don't need it, BUT!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sammy Camden, Jul 4, 2005.

1. :cool: I was down at my local music store Saturday, waiting on my Son to finish his drum lesson, and doing my usual rumaging while I wait. I noticed this Fender P-Bass hanging on the wall, sunburst with a rosewood fretboard. Now this one was just another MIM P-Bass, one of the bazillion that you see in music stores everywhere. Usually nothing special about these. However, this one caught my eye because the rosewood was exceptionally colorful. Normally in these less expensive models they dye the daylights out the rosewood and take all the character away. But not this one. It was gorgeous.

So, I took it down just to look. You know, the look that often gets you in trouble. Well, I looked it over. The fit and finish was very, very nice; as nice as any MIAs that I've ever seen. The neck was smooth, nice edges, good fretwork, and true. So, I took the next logical step, I played it. The sound was classic P-Bass; full, deep, and thumpy. This stupid, inexpensive MIM looked good, played very well, and sounded great.

Well, I didn't buy it, however, I may yet do so. I think I'm going back on Tuesday, check it out again, if it's still there, and if it still strikes me the same way, I'll buy it. Do I need it. Hell no. But, this is may be one of those "diamonds in rough" that you occassionally come across. And I am a major fan of P-Basses; have been for over 40 years.

Don't you just hate it when something like this comes along when you think you've got all the instruments that you need? I do, but, it's often fun.

How often have the rest of you run into things like this?
  2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    How do you think I got my Cirrus?

GAS is terminal :D
  3. Just becasue its a MIM doesnt mean its no good.

Ive played some MIMs that played and sounded as good as MIAs, in fact I own a MIM Jazz Bass. I had the intent of buying a MIA, but this one MIM Jazz smoked all the other Jazzes in the store.

Congrats on the P-Bass.
  4. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Some people dis the Yamaha RBX series as being similar to the MIM's (I owned a MIM Jazz that absolutely smoked). Yet my son is completely in love with his. He only wants to trade up to a five if he can get one and he will probably stay true to Yamaha. He ened up with the Yamaha the same way Sammy is going to end up with the MIM P - accidental and fortuitous circumstance. Sometimes that is the best way. Seems to work with girlfriends as well. :)
  5. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    One of the better Jazz necks that I have played is the one off of my '92 MIM... Soon to be fitted with a different board...

6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Awesome! If it speaks to you, and especially if you're still thinking about it, go for it!
  7. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    All the time. Last time, I went to buy strap lockers, and came out with a guitar amp LOL! I play a little electric guitar, and the Fender G-DEC is an awesome little toy!
  8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  9. TheNerdBass

Jun 30, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    lol, give it to T_T! He's looking for a good bass! :D
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I sounds like a bass in dire need of salvation. I acquired at least five of my basses by saving them from the ravages of the 14-year-old slab slappers who pick the walls at GC. Be a saviour! (Notice how I like to spell "savior" the hoser way?)

Someone call the police. That's not right! Go back right now and take that baby HOME!
  12. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Need? When was it ever about a need? ;)
  13. This is a little similar to the story on how Geddy Lee found his 74 Jazz in a pawn shop - it was non-descript and a little worn, but it has since become his main instrument and even fathered a signature model.

Life's like a box of chocolates, forrest :D
  14. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    OK. You get the honourary toque.
  15. catdriver

Apr 19, 2005
    Park City UT
    I read somewhere that the guys (and gals?) in the MIM factory are paid piece rate and if their work doesn't pass strict QA they don't get paid till it does...... Would be real insentive to put out great stuff, wouldn't it?. Imagine if Detroit made cars that way.
    On the original topic there's a Roscoe Beck V that's hanging on the wall of my favorite shop that is calling me the same way. I already own two Fenders and am looking for a five, and was thinking about something other than another Fender but.....
  16. for real...
  17. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    This is why it's soooo important to play before you buy. Not all basses are created equal, and when you find one that speaks to you, it's best that you listen;)

18. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Yeah, hah - I went to GC last week to pick up a capo and a music stand and left with a Mike Dirnt Precision in a freeby (used but working fine) SKB Deluxe case.

Yeesh. "Need"? It is never about "need", is it?