1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Request " Don't Play That Song, " Aretha Franklin, 1970

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by slagheap, Nov 25, 2018.

1. slagheap

slagheap

Dec 23, 2011
    Sweet little shuffle, very moderate tempo, & lots of triplets.

ahc and Oddly like this.
  2. LeeNunn

LeeNunn Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Charlottesville, VA
    If we can't find a transcription before next weekend, I'll give it a shot.

JimK and slagheap like this.
  3. EarnestTBass

EarnestTBass

Feb 3, 2015
    Check out this site. Prepare to spend a little time.

Look for "Don't Play That Song" in the block that has all of the songs from Aretha's "The Spirit In The Dark" album.

Aretha Franklin

4. slagheap

slagheap

Dec 23, 2011
    oh, my. got it! thank-you, ETBass, & all. scrolling through those tracks - a who's who of R&B. if i were a teacher i would use this in the curriculum. it's almost triplet overkill. if i played that many i would get the fish-eye from band mates.

5. EarnestTBass

EarnestTBass

Feb 3, 2015
    If you are looking for a study in triplets and swinging, check out Aretha's version of "You Send Me" -covering the Sam Cooke classic. Aretha's version contains even more triplets. I learned the tune for a wedding gig two years ago. Found it to be a fun tune.

An accurate bass transcription of Jerry Jemmott's work on "You Send Me" is on that same web page.

I like the way the website is organized to give bass players recognition.

slagheap and JimK like this.
  6. slagheap

slagheap

Dec 23, 2011
    Thank-you, will do! Yeah, swung triplets, so loving that. Such a killer site.
    edit, later: Jerry's part will have to remain aspirational for me at this time.
    " A man's got to know his limits. "

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018