Dont Sell it, Customise It,

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zenderquai, Aug 3, 2004.

1. well i have come to this desicion over my Warwick rockbass corvette 5, and i have some questions for you guys as i know lurking away in these forums are guys and girls who know there stuff, so here we go,

i have had a lot of problems with the wiring in this bass and various problems with the preamp, and now i just want to rip it all out and make it passive, what specifically will i need to do on it to make this so? what things needing removing and added etc, will the mec pups be fine when the bass is passive? or will new pups be needed?

im also going to strip the paint off the bass, and treat the natural wood with a nice stain, i plan on using a hand sander to take the top layer off and various levels of hand sanding to get a nice smooth even finish, basically do i need to buy a wood treatment prior to the application of stain? or do i just bung the stain on, and if so, are there any stains to stay away from or specifics to choose from?

i think thats all i need to know, im keeping all the hardware currently on this bass as its not all bad,

thanks in advance for all the help,

Ben, :smug:
  2. iloveloosey

iloveloosey Guest

Sep 9, 2000
  3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    The finishing questions might best be answered via the Luthier Forum. Also toss a PM to Nino Brown, he does some incredible finishing work on his Valentis.
  4. right back at you.
  5. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I think what you're doing is a bad idea. You could mess things up quite a bit if you don't know what you're doing.
  6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    why not just SELL it and get a passive rockbass?

7. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    hand sanding should be fine, make sure you use a block though to keep the surfaace nice and flat.

also, you shouldnt need a pre treatment unless the wood is real soft

as for rewireing, i belive you still gonna need a 9 volt to hook up to the pups ( there active pups ) then beyond that, your gonna need to check with wariwck about what pot size you need, i would think 500k would be fine though.......i would wire it to have an active/passive switch personaly.

also, if your interested in dumpin that pre amp, i may be interested in it.....
  8. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Selling and searching again would be a better advice I think...
  9. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    "Customizing" your bass will reduce its resale value, so only do this if you are sure this bass is a keeper.
    BTW why not get a better preamp in there?
    And as PasdaBeer said, you should try "passive with a switch" method, the MiGermany models have it and it works well (for me at least)
  10. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    anything under 1k retail value, i wouldnt bother trying to resell, expecialy if you like the feel of the bass already.

also customizing gives you that....special feeling in your specialy places.
  11. well the rockbass is an old bass now over a year and a bit, its not doing much, and i felt that i would rather make something of it rather than it being just another bass thats been and gone, it was a just an idea i was entertaining just thought i would see what goes down, i'll ask around at local guitar shops.
  12. I worked on my Godin some. Stripping the finish several times to different colors, changing the shape of the body and headstock, different pickups. Each time improving it and having some fun, plus liking the bass more. Then I took out the frets. Did a good job, and liked the result, but the last modification was to finish the fretboard, and now it needs to be sanded again I found a new uneven spot. At this point, the bass sits unplayed. Maybe I should have kept the frets.

But I am not sorry for any of it. It was great working on it. Resale value? Who cares, new basses values drop so fast just getting out the door, basses are not worth reselling. Better to be careful buying what you intend on keeping, even if you want to modify it later. I don't play bass for investment purposes.