1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DONT SHIP UPS

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help' started by MikeBass, Apr 3, 2013.

1. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    Shipping my Sterling via UPS.....
    Informed that UPS doea not insure the value, but what you sold it for.

So, I sold my Sterling below its value.
    If they destroy it, they will not give replacement value, but sale value.

So if you ship something and try to het a claim for replacement value and you sold it for much less, they consider it fraud and a battle is on your hands.

Mods move or delete if you feel the need.

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Why not tell them that you sold it for its value? What are they doing, monitoring the classifieds on TB?

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

It sounds normal to me. If the parcel gets lost, your loss is whatever the buyer paid and nothing else.
    Why would they give you more than what you already accepted to get rid of the instrument?

4. basspro557

basspro557 Banned

Jul 20, 2005
    Miami
    I dont use or like dealing with Ups for 1 they are 1 day slower than FedX plus they dont deliver on Saturdays,Most companys will honor what you delare for Value which is your Insurance in case of loss or Damage.

5. lowendmafia

lowendmafia Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    UPS told me a similar story recently. They said that if I pack the bass and it gets damaged they are not liable. But to ship their "guitar box" would cost more than $100 (about 1/2 of the value of the bass I shipped). I will be sticking with FedEx.

6. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    +1

7. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    How does UPS know the sales price?

8. rwider

rwider Supporting Member

May 5, 2008
    Santa Cruz, Ca
    I had a bass damaged by UPS and they paid the insured value. If you want more for your damaged or lost bass, you'll need to insure it for more.
    BTW I pretty much use Fedex exclusively.
    My 2 cents.

9. YCBass

YCBass

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    I normally use FedEx for domestic US shipping because they are cheaper than UPS in my experience, plus in my city the store location is more convenient.

On the value issue, they've never questioned any value I've indicated on the label, but sometime ago they started to inspect the contents to confirm it wasn't given to them already broken (understandable, IMO). Do yourself a favor and keep your box open and pack/seal after inspection... I've had them cut open 2 boxes that I carefully packed at home.

And if you are shipping a non-rectangular case or gig bag in a rectangular box, be sure to stuff the sides as there can be no open space between your item and the box walls - they will charge you for the brown paper stuffing.

As always, companies may operate differently in different places but this is from my experience.

10. I ONLY ship USPS priority. GUARANTEED 2-3 days (usually two), free carrier pickup, cheaper, VERY efficient online label printing system... can't go wrong at all.

11. Mrdak

Mrdak uber bass geek baby!

Feb 1, 2006
    Middle GA
    There you have it..... :bassist:

12. petermca17

petermca17 Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Boston, MA
    I prefer USPS over UPS or FedEx. I have shipped using all three and found USPS to be less expensive, faster and easier to deal with.

13. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    Prefer FedEx Ground. They do a good job. Until things go wrong.

14. robertusf

robertusf Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Chicagoland
    I used to think that too until last week. I shipped out a pedal priority mail and they show it delivered 300 miles from where I shipped it. The clerk said it wasn't delivered but scanned wrong..... yet 10 days later it is still in no mans land. USPS put a case # on it, but I am not hopeful.

15. brotherbassj

brotherbassj

Sep 20, 2008
    Virginia
    Jim Dunlop USA, King Kong Cases, Golden Eagle Energy Drink
    If you declare the value of your instrument at $1000 or greater it has to be shipped from a UPS hub and inspected by them for proper packaging. They don't wanna pay for damages due to a crappy packing job. Can you blame them? I recently got informed this by my local ups store, even thoug I have an account and print my own labels....it's inconvenient I do agree

16. Sywannab

Sywannab Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Alameda, CA 94501
    UPS does not know every single item's original value. It's vague and can be subjective.
    You get compensation based on what you sold for, and that sounds normal to me..

By the way, I prefer Fedex over UPS
    Free Saturday delivery
    Convenient pick-up at local Fedex store (picking up at UPS can be possible at certain hours like 8:30pm - 9:30 pm)

17. Everything I have ever sold and shipped by UPS has been insured for the price that I sold it for. I always packed it well because I know by working for UPS in the past that the package is going to go through hell and back.

I have never had any questions asked about the value of a product. Never! And I have sold a lot of things here on TB. Look at my feedback. And I have never had a problem with UPS. All my packages have arrived on time and safe.

18. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Irrespective of the selling price, I insure for what I consider to be the replacement cost because, in case something goes dreadfully wrong, the shipper will expect you to produce some reference or standard to substantiate the claim. For example, if I were to ship a Peavey Millennium 5 (...more on that later), insure it for $1500, and have it destroyed en route, I would be expected to produce some documentation to corroborate the stated value. Now a case study...

UPS managed to destroy a hardshell case but the bass within escaped unscathed. UPS 'fessed up immediately and said "yeah, we did that and here's how". They asked the value of the case which was a toughy as it was discontinued by Peavey years ago. I called the folks at Peavey who looked up the item in an archived catalog and fax'd me the info with the MSRP of $142.00. I presented the copy with necessary paperwork and UPS stroked me a check for...you guessed it...$142.00. FWIW, UPS took possession of the broken case via call-tag and shipped it to their graveyard near Salt Lake City.

Riis

19. MCMLXI

MCMLXI

Feb 9, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    Neither FedEx or UPS are good options. I recently had FedEx pack an item at their FedEx location, they damaged it, and they've been fighting the claim for over six weeks. UPS, as noted above, not only will not pay replacement cost on an item but also will not insure an item if you do not use a new box.

20. I bought an acoustic on e-bay a few years ago, it was crushed when I recieved it. It was pretty obvious that they placed something heavy on the box. UPS took over eight months to pay the claim and every time they looked into in they put a brand new person on it. I was not imprssed and stop using them. USPS has always been good for me, never had an issue with fedex either.