Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Don't show off topic posts in "New since last login" search

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by leanne, Feb 19, 2003.

1. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
  2. That doesn't seem fair to those who actually like Off Topic because of some fun games or humorous images or something like that. I think if you don't want to go to Off Topic, just look a little to the right of the subject title and see what forum it's in. Don't click on the thread if you know that it's gonna be some kind of wierd political thread or somethng. It's up to you to make the choice about whether or not you reply to a topic. Be smarter than the computer.

3. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    it appears to be only a search exclusion, so you could still directly access it. and heres the Obligatory Link

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I wish I had gotten to the aforementioned thread before it got closed. FWIW, I think the idea of being able to "personalize" your own "new since last login" searches is a great one. When I first joined, the site was much smaller, and the signal to noise ratio was much higher. These days, it feels almost like I have to wade through a sewer to find anything interesting or useful to read. Don't get me wrong - I'm not advocating shutting down OT....if people have nothing better to do than to start a megathread on the topic of "WHAT KIND OF SOUP DOES YOUR STRAP LIKE BEST?", what business is it of mine? On the other hand, if I could place entire forums on IGNORE for the purposes of the "new since last login" search, I'd do it in a heartbeat, as it would save me a fair amount of time on a daily basis.

And when you get right down to it, IS there anything more valuable than time?

How about the option of personalized search parameters as part of "My Talkbass" for supporting members? Is this even possible with the existing software?

5. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    it would be the thing that sold me on a supporting membership, which im already gonna do as soon as i get to it (ive got a stack of money orders waiting to be put in envelopes for bills, its been on my desk a week already, professional procrastination). and its not just for OT, i love double bass, but i dont know anything about it and i'd rather stay out of their threads, so its for more than just OT.

but forums getting closed would deter me from joining up full force, not a threat mindya, just how i am i s'pose.

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Bump.

7. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    As I said in the other thread Chris, I agree. I think the idea of user programmable forum omittions in the "new since last login" function would be a very good idea.

I mean, I really don't need to see all of those threads coming out of [DB]Rosin, so that would go on the top of my list.

:D;):D

Joking aside, good idea. I second it!

8. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yup, I'll second this.

9. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I'll chime in to add a "me too" on the desire to be able to configure/filter the "new since last login" search

10. You got my vote. Go for it.

11. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Out of respect for Chris F and all he does here I'll add myself to the 'list' and bump this thread.

12. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Hmmm, seems like we're not gaining much momentum here. I'd like to keep this one current, though, since I think it's a good idea.

How about a seperate "New Since Last" for BG and DB then, maybe accessed from the forum page? I have to read all of the DB threads anyway, and it would be a great help to those DBers who only check in every couple of days. What say ye, oh site admin? :)

13. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Oops - missed my cue :)

I've been following this thread and, admittedly, been putting it off... It looks like the new 3.0 version of VBulletin (currently in it's 4th beta stage) will allow a 'new since' search for individual forums, and also for all subscribed forums. I think this should be able to be tweaked easily to facilitate a 'new since' search of the DB/BG boards exclusively.

VB 3.0 should be final later this summer... Hang in there :)

14. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

You are the man. :) I'm especially intrigued by the notion of a "new since" for "all subscribed forums". Does thees meen what I theen eet meens? Inconceivable! :D

Let me know if I can help.