1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

dont stop me now - isolated bass

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by sonic assassin, Jan 10, 2012.

1. i love the internet sometimes.

Queen - Don't Stop Me Now (Bass Only) - YouTube

for anyone whos ever doubted the genius that is john deacon, here is proof that he absolutely rips. such classy fills and runs. especially with that much piano going on, hes all over the pocket.

also note the slight grit to the tone. to those who always want the clearest tone, here is proof, that a little dirt in the mix is always nice. and that a little plucking noise will always get lost in the clutter of the mix.

i digress. the world needs more john deacon.

2. Wonderful stuff. As ever with these isolated tracks, the tone turns out to a lot hairier than the final mix would suggest.
    I'd love to hear some of bass tracks from Queen II or Sheer Heart Attack - now there's some bass workouts!
    Thanks for posting! :bassist:

3. Emilym80

Emilym80

Sep 15, 2011
    That's for sure! I've been trying to get Ogre Battle for what seems like a year now :meh:

4. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Ah, John Deacon. The reason I started playing bass. Wonderful touch, great tone, and truly creative and inspiring melodic basslines.

I believe his studio tone, particularly on the earlier albums had to or even 3 tracks which made it sound so great. Close mic, ambient mic and DI (I think). I seem to remember Brian May stating this on a DVD extra (night at the opera audio DVD possibly?) showing the process of remixing Bohemian Rhapsody for 5.1 surround. He went through the master recording and was isolating various tracks here and there. Really interesting to watch.

On the dirtiness of his tone. I have a 2 channel live sound from my Attitude, and nearly always have a little dirt mixed in to my top end channel. Just sits in the mix that little bit better.