1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Don't Stop Til You Get Enough

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Calebmundy, May 11, 2010.

1. Calebmundy

Calebmundy

Apr 5, 2007
    Nashville
    Effectlemen. I am looking for kind of a subtle filter or envelope or something I think. Something I can cop for some of the 70's stuff I do with a couple of bands.

I have a Digitech BSW, but I am thinking of trading it out for a good octave pedal and whatever this other thing might end up being-the synth stuff is cool on the pedal, but a little extreme, and loud.

I'd love for it to be something cheap like a bassballs or something. A trim or volume adjustment would also be great.

Sorry, I know this is an overdone and mundane kind of effects question.

2. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Did you try mode 7, and messing around with the levels? You can bring the octave and synth levels down as low as you like on that sound. I agree it's Really Loud in most of the modes.

3. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    That particular song has a pretty mild synth bass tone on it. Honestly I think you could do a bit of palm muting and staccato playing and it would get the job done.

That said, the Bass Micro Synth is a pretty versatile and relatively easy to use pedal for copping a lot of 70's synth tones.

With just the attack and decay sliders you could get a keyboard like feel for that type of tune.

4. Calebmundy

Calebmundy

Apr 5, 2007
    Nashville
    Yeah I checked some YouTube videos, and I think the micro synth would hit the tone, but has more features than I need. I definitely need to check into some filters. Palm muting etc I don't think would punch enough live, and my palm technique isn't quick enough to catch the ghost notes. I was using an actual keyboard, but it's too much to drag out to most gigs.

5. I love my Bass Balls for subtle filter work either with or without distortion engaged. I also love my Bass Micro Synth for synth stuff. Better yet the two work together very well indeed. These are two of my essential pedals that are just about cemented to my board.

The only complaint I would have is that the BMS is a bit of a tone and volume sucker when not engaged. My solution was to put it in a Keeley By-pass Loop. Others have modded the BMS to get round this problem; but my engineer studied the wiring that some people have used to mod and figured that the mods most people do to the BMS is too much of a compromise on some of the factors that make the BMS such a great unit when engaged. Hence the by-pass loop solution.

So I recommend both; but I'd love to try an Akai Deep Impact one day too for synth.

Back to filters, the 3 Leaf Groove Regulator has a switch to keep it a bit more subtle or at least to reduce spikeyness, e.g. when slapping or going for really full on filter sounds. The rotary controls are very tweakeble too and can deliver subtle filter sounds quite easily.

Just my ten pence worth....

6. Calebmundy

Calebmundy

Apr 5, 2007
    Nashville
    Hmmmm, I will go check out some bass balls.

7. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    For subtle-ness, I love the Ashdown. It has input and output volumes and with the up vs down and sweep range knobs at 10:30-11 it's not too wet. Lets through mucho low end too. Price is edging up towards $100 these days, but I got mine for $30 a few years ago. And it handles a distorted octave down no problem.