Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Don't store your bass in the case!?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matthias, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I've got an '79 US Fender J with the original plastic case.
    Since I only used my Stingray in the past 3 years I had the Fender lying in the case on my closet.

The other day I took it out I got a bad surprise:
    - the varnish of the bass has become noticably darker
    - on the back near the neck joint the varnish has become soft and the plush of the case is sticking to it like a fur
    - the strings feel 'sticky'
    - the case has an unpleasant odour, like someone had peed into the case (no, that's not funny and yes I'm sure noone has, but it really smells very similiar)

My guess: it's the softener in the plastic which does these things if you keep the case closed for a long time.

Has anybody experienced the same thing?
    Maybe one should use those tolex covered wooden cases for long-time storage?

Matthias

2. the darkness is probably from no light, just sitting in a case...for 3 years!!~!! poor thing. Im thinking all thoes things just came from sitting in a case with no play or care. not saying you dont care for it, im meaning, its just been sitting in that case, so you havent played it or done like...stuff to it. that sjust my guess.

- w00t

3. Toony

Toony

Jun 15, 2001
    Texas
    That's just messed up. But, no, never experienced that. How hot was the storage area, if you don't mind me asking....wondering if it was an outside (garage, tec.) or indoors closet.

4. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    It was in my bedroom -> normal room temperature...

And regarding no light: sunlight will change the color for sure, but I don't think that the absence of light will change anything.

BTW: How could I dare to do this, not touching this nice bass in so many years? I simply like the Stingray much better. The sound cuts through even in difficult situations and it's also lighter - my shoulder likes that. And it got 5 strings.
    I just took the Fender out because I did a recording where a round 'vintage' Fender sound was asked for...

Matthias

5. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    If you are leaving them in a case for some time, I suggest you put in one of those paper bags labbeled 'CAUTION: keep away frm children, contnents are highly toxic' as they keep the air dry which will stop any mould (that could explain the smell, you know when you get rained on, leave the shirt under your bed and a week later it reeks?).

6. The little paper bags you refer to I believe are silica gel?

7. Hmmm, I thought that Fender didn't introduce the plastic cases until the mid 80's. Oh well. Anyways, what else was in the case with the bass? This seems odd that this would happen without some exposure to extreme climate changes etc.

BTW I've heard that if you leave your bass on a stand that has the black foam covering that there is a chemical found in the foam (ammonia maybe) that will stain the finish.

My $.02!

Jeff

8. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Well the serial number reads S9..... which stands for seventy nine, according to the Fender homepage. I've bought the bass used in '89, so I don't know where the case comes from.
    Nothing.

Matthias

9. Oh I wasn't doubting the age of the bass at all. I just don't think that 79's came with a plastic case that's all.

Weird....

10. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    The same exact stuff happened to my dad's Fender P not too long ago, but to a lesser degree (his varnish didn't start eating the case fuzz). I think we finally decided mold/fungus was the culprit.

Some silica gel packets cleared the problem up for him.

11. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    No problem.

Matthias

PS: Can't slap as well ;)

12. I was told to only clip one latch on the case when storing for a long time at normal room temp.

Allows for a little circulation.

I've had basses stored for longer then 3 years with no problems.