Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Don't touch that, you don't know where it has been.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by xyllion, Jul 7, 2004.

1. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    So, I learned an interesting tidbit today about a piece of gear that I bought as a "blem" from an online retailer (and no, it probably isn't the retailer that you are thinking of). I have a multieffects box that I bought in February and one of the knobs stopped working correctly this week. So, I called the manufacturer since the unit is still under warranty.

Well, the support person asks about who I am and then asks, "Did you buy this new?" He goes on to tell me that this unit was in for repair last November. He didn't know what was repaired, but apparently it was sold, repaired and returned. The unit was then sold to me.

Guess now I have some insight on the origin of "blems."

2. Practically the same thing happened to me when I ordered a "scratch and dent" Echoplex from Musician's Friend. One of the knobs was broken (the plastic knob part, not the pot) and another knob was just missing. Part of the faceplate was bent out too as if it had been taken apart and put back together poorly. Needless to say I returned it. If I had known that it was going to take another 5 months for them to get the new ones in, I probably would have just kept it though.

- Dave

3. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Sounds more like a refurb than a blem :meh:

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Interestingly enough, when I received my effects box, it was in what looked like new condition. There was no visible damage. The plastic protector was still on the display. In fact, this unit has worked flawlessly for me until just this week. Now one of the knobs is flaky. You turn it and sometimes it doesn't work at all and sometimes it flies through the parameters as if you spun it quickly.

At least the good news is that the manufacturer is going to fix it under warranty. I'll lose out in having to give it up for a few weeks, but at least I'm not losing any money.

5. The person who owned must have been like me and never removes the plastic covering sheets until they're peeling off and look horrible.