Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Don't touch

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Peter Squire, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Hey

I been playing for 20 years, and always had my basses set up professionally. I find a great difference everytime its done

I just don't understand how to adjust my truss-rod - i know i should but it stumps me.

it kills me cos im able to organise 50000+ seater functions and such - but cannot set up my bass.

anyway - gonna keep using the professional lads

2. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Here's how I do it.
    I use a capo at the first fret. I hold down the last fret with my finger. This basically uses the string as a straight edge. Then ,while holding down the string at the last fret I slide a fender thin pick between the string and the 7th fret. I then adjust the truss rod until the string just barely touches the pick. Then I'll let the neck settle for about a day then recheck. Also make sure you're tuned to pitch. It's really easy to do and doesn't take much time to do it. Hope this helps