1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Don't Trust The Numbers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ron G, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Ron G

Ron G

Mar 16, 2009
    Portsmouth, VA
    This maybe for new bassist.

This is something I just discovered all this time I was thinking I had my EQ setting on my amp set flat and it never sounded the way I wanted. Heres the discovery, after looking closer at my manual my Low is 40dB @50Hz, Mid 30dB @500Hz, HI 40dB@10k Hz. I was thinking that flat was 5 for (Low/Mid/HI), but now my setting are Low 5(20 dB), Mid 6.7(20 dB), HI 5(20dB). Now I know how to better adjust my EQ, it's like having a new amp.

2. Gab124

Gab124 The path is greater than the destination

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa
    First start with any piece of equipment using your ears. If that does not work, read the owners manual. If that does not work sell it. Ears first always, and never assume anything.

3. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Eventually, you can learn to understand the numbers. then internet forums will become very frustrating places indeed. Until then, ignore the numbers in favour of your ears, unless you are trying to relate the numbers to what your ears are telling you. Too many people get that the wrong way round.

4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

First thing to do is READ the owner's manual.

If you didn't get one with it (normal) then look it up online.

You'll have plenty of time to fool with it, but if you don't read the manual you're not going to fully understand how it works.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Very few amps are flat with all knobs at noon. And no cab on the market has dead flat response unless they use DSP to achieve it.

6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Try every knob one at a time and see what the do.
    Yeah, use your ears, but see what the knobs and manual say so when you adjust them you can relate the knob back to the actual numbers, not what you think the numbers are.

7. 40 dB? Holy Batman eq-boost. :eek:

:eyebrow:

8. dincz

dincz

Sep 25, 2010
    Czech Republic
    My thought too. Don't remember ever seeing an EQ with 40dB of boost/cut available!

9. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    As posted, learn what the numbers mean. 40dB by itself, means nothing because dB is relative to something. +/-40dB, frequency response of 20-20KHz, +0dB/-40dB or stating output level of -40dBm all mean something.

The only real conclusion I would come to using the numbers you posted is that the mid is 10dB higher than the Bass and Hi, according to the manual's 40dB/30dB/40dB.

If it sounds good, don't worry about the numbers on the controls- those are really on there so the settings are repeatable, not to indicate any actual levels or changes.

10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Rule #1 of gear addiction : RTFM.