dont understand the Hoppus signature

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by whatsaMcGee, Apr 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I just don't understand how so many people can be in love with the Mark Hoppus sig bass. And I'm not just saying this because I hate pop/punk. Seriously I don't see any appeal in that base. Mainly because it's one and only knob controls volume. No tone, no bass/mid/treble boost. I just cant see myself playing a bass with no controls other than volume.
  2. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Well I think that it's ugly and mildly redundant but I don't necessarily think the one knob is a bad idea. A lot of players tend to just leave the tone knobs at full (on passive basses) therefore making the tone knob irrelevant.
  3. Maybe they like how it sounds? Yeah, that could be it...
  4. kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    i really think there's nothing wrong with it. i like the colors, i like the jazz body shape and the p pickups, and if it where up to me, i'd probably have no knobs, there's really no ise for them in my eyes, but i guess to each his own. those are just my tastes.:)
  5. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Looks like the disfigured mutant child of a p-bass and a fender mustang(? musician mabye). UUUGGGly. :spit: Though at least theres to marvelous colors to choose from. Seafoam green and pretty in pink:meh: :rolleyes: . YUCK!!! Just IMHO of course.
  6. I don't!!! I usually have to keep turning the tone knob down on my MIM P-Bass equipped with a BadAss II, otherwise it's ear-piercing! :cool: :cool: :bassist:
  7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

8. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Actually, IU had this ame issue. I always wondered why people would buy this bass. Well one day I went to GC and tried it out. Its apretty cool bass. I really like that SD basslines pickup. I don't think I'd ever buy this bass though. For the money that it costs, I'd just buy a MIM p bass and replace the pickup.
  9. Of course the real issue is how dumb it is to have a signature bass for that dork.
  10. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    The bass is actually pretty awesome, it's one of the only P basses I really like. Probably because I really like the JAzz body shape over the P.

The bass wasn't made as a sig... Hoppus got a custom made, and Fender saw it as an opportunity to make some $.

I am gonna buy it one day:)
  11. oohh, that felt nice.. lol. g1, :)

I have to agree. I think it looks silly. It's mainly the pickguard that puts me off, 'to I haven't had a chance to try one out.

IMO, he sounds like crap, ESPECIALLY live.. ughh
  12. so what?
  13. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I dig it.

It has no slap tone, but it works and sounds good.

But, this is coming from a guy that likes a Rogue or 2 :meh:
  14. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I kinda like the colors, but I just picked up a Strat that is Sonic Blue! (I love the old fender colors...)

I have been thinking about getting one and making it a PJ, but replacing the pickguard with a standard jazz pickguard and control plate.

15. I can guarantee you that virtually all of the target market for the Hoppus bass plays with all of their onboard controls dimed. You might as well remove the redundant components.
  16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.