don't want to blow anything...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by theagnesjar, Oct 12, 2004.

1. theagnesjar

Oct 11, 2004
    all you pro's out there...
    i'm running a 400watt head into a 600 RMS Ampeg 6X10 cabinet, and am looking eventually to upgrade to a 600watt head to get as much power as I can. A friend of mine told me that by sending a more powerful signal into the cabinet, I would reduce my risk of doing damage to the speakers by playing hard on the low B string for example. He said i wouldn't get as distorted a sound for the same volume level if I moved up to a 600watt head. Is this true?
  2. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'm nowhere near a pro but I can answer your question.

600w will be fine. I would go 800-1000 watts though. That will offer even more headroom. As for the speaker taking the 600w. If that's what it's rated it will take that much power fine. It will also take plenty more after 600w. Probably up to 1200w. Also, even If it's a 600w head it's for the most part not going to be sending 600w into the cab. A 600w amp will be fine. The more watts the better, within reason.
  3. timibud

Aug 29, 2004
    Well, it's only true if you're pushin' your 400 watts to the point of clipping. If you only use 300 of your 400 watts, it doesn't matter if you have 400 watts, or 4000 watts. If you're turning your amp up close to max volume, than yes, you should think about more power. If it sounds distorted, turn it down untill you get more power!