Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Don't ya ever mention The King??

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Abr@hamBassBoy, Jan 2, 2003.

1. I'm a newbie here and I've been lookin' around some of the topics and i've noticed the fact that the awesome bass play Mark King isn't mentioned the way he actually deserves to... I mean players like Victor Wooten and Marcus Miller are indeed fantastically skilled Bass Players from a technical aspect but generally I don't think they've done any fantastic Solos or Bassline compared to Mark King... Anyway this is my opinion, it might be twisted and very wrong... But I'm comfortable with it... Listen to the Bass Solo at the jazz café and listen to how incredibly innovative he is as he does the slap Solo...

2. Yes he's often mentioned..but I haven't listened to anything of his stuff yet..

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    actually, i'd like to increase my exposure to mark king's playing.

let's hear some suggestions for "essential king" :)

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Get the live CD "Physical Presence".

5. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I'm not hip to anything he did outside of "Level 42"... but two songs that I really dig that are very different are "Something About You" (all slapping) and "The Chinese Way" (all finger style and VERY Jaco-esque).

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    actually the best of Level 42 is in my car along with marvin gaye (james jamerson & bob babbit), stevie wonder (james jamerson), aretha franklin (tommy cogbill?), gov't mule (many bass players), richard bona and puddle of mud (i like one of thier songs!!)

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The trouble is that Level 42 were part of an 80s Jazz/Funk movement in the UK, which now sounds very "dated".

I loved Mark King's playing at the time and was very interested in what he was doing then - but I find it all unlistenable now! It just sounds to me like "Marcus Miller - Lite" !! ;)

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    I got his concert DVD from 1999, and he still blows me away! Not only did he do intricate slapping and singing at the same time, but he also jumped and danced whilst he did it.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

But he's been at it for about 20 years now - he must be able to do it in his sleep! ;)

10. Arjan

Arjan

Apr 18, 2002
    I saw Mark some weeks ago and his playing is incredible tight. If someone has allmost perfect time with funk bassplaying it should be Mark King.
    Victor may have some more tricks up his sleeve but he's also a bit more sloppier the Mark King.

11. Victor? Sloppy? Heh?

IMO I prefere Victor any day to Mark King. From what I've heard of Mark King, which is quite alot, he is extremely unemotional and monotonous, unlike Victor. I can only listen to so much slap before i begin to gag whether it be Victor or Mark so maybe it's just me.

12. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hey if we go back to line 42 then we must not forget duran duran!

13. Arjan

Arjan

Apr 18, 2002
    Voodoochile, maybe you don't understand what I said. I was talking about Mark Kings tight performance and NOT his musicality or originality(thats another issue).
    His playing is just very tight, monotonous or not, you can't deny he has a very deep pocket!

14. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    My only complaint about Mark King would be his allergy to lows. Everything is highs! A little bass in the EQ would be nice.

15. I'm definitely with you, Arjan... I just listened to a Victor Wooten solo and a Mark King solo and I came to the conclusion that Mark is the most tight and accurate bass Player by far comapred to Wooten... Victor may (as someone stated earlier) have some more tricks up his sleeve but personally I think he is a bit sloppy compared to the King...

16. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    That would be good.

17. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Most European bass players in their 20s and 30s learned slapping from Mark.

18. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Although I admire his technical abilities (and would love to play 1/10th as well as he can), I find MK's style very repetitive - it barely seems to have changed or developed in the last 20 years.

And as for that Jazz Cafe solo that Abr@hamBassBoy mentioned - MK has been using that riff in his solo for 20 years. Check this out for proof: http://www.forevernow.com/realvideo/basssolocopenhagen.ram

19. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    Yeah, it works ok on some tracks where the synth bass fills the low end. Most of his studio albums have nice tone, World Machine comes to my mind. And his sound on the Isle of Wight DVD is actually quite good. I guess he couldn't eq the Eden low-mid hump out :)

And I agree to some degree with the Mark-Victor comparison. Mark is very tight, but his solos are not that great. There isn't enough meat if you know what I mean. His best solo is on the Physical Presence album.