Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Don't ya just hate it when you know in advance the gig is going to suck?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Feb 14, 2003.

1. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Gig tonight... Valentine's Day. It's gonna suck.

When the band discussed this date a few weeks ago, I thought to myself, "gee, sounds like we'll be playing to geezers who won't appreciate our music." I figured my bandmate who booked this (or greenlighted the booking) knew something I didn't.

Two days before the gig, this bandmate says, basically, "Looks like we'll be playing to geezers who won't appreciate our music."

:meh:

Nothing like ruining some folks Valentine's day, on top of getting your own ruined (thank goodness for an understanding wife, at least!).

Ehhhh, sonny, can't ya play some Glen Miller.....

I can always hope we have a younger/more receptive crowd than this...

I'm sure everyone gets stuck with a gig like this at least once or twice in their playing career - guess it's my turn tonight... sigh. What about you guys? Similar experiences?

2. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    I'm with you brother. I have to gig tonight as well. My wife is pretty understanding about the whole thing so that helps. But the bar is a tiny place in a small town half an hour away and all they want to hear is classic rock covers, so no originals tonight. Well at least Im getting paid for it.

3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Not to admonish but, whoever it is, wherever it is, this is a gig. Live shows are hardly routine. Make the most of the opportunity to further your ability to play well in a diverse situation.

It's not rehearsal, and it's not "your crowd". Sometimes, record producers don't run with "your crowd".

A good rule:

Whatever, wherever the gig: "Finish like a Pro!"

4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Well,...

...if you're getting paid you'd better look like you're enjoying it!

:)

5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    In my old originals band we played this one show that was a dorm get together type party on a Sunday afternoon. I knew it was going to suck beforehand but I figured what the hey we're getting paid and it's not like we come across gigs every week. Yeah sure enough it sucked, but I still found a way to get some enjoyment out of it. I was good friends with the drummer and we would always drop/displace notes here and there to keep each other on our toes. We did it a little more than usual that day because basically there was nothing else better to do. In the end, IMO most gigs are better than no gig.

6. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Well, next time I get one of these gigs, I'll call one of you guys to sub for me - heck, just take the job permanently and see how long your attitude holds up ;)

As it turned out, the gig wasn't too awfully bad. :)

7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    If you're getting these crappy gigs all the time then I understand how you would get sick of them. But if they only come up once in a while it's probably worth it to just stick it out and just do the gig.

8. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    sounds crazy... you can't have one with out the other: yeah you can.

For the record, I ain't all there either, but I respect those that do...

<diatribe>
    If you are a serious musician, you need to be able to play a wide range of styles and tunes. Not perfectly, not "off the record" tribute band style, but competent enough to mix in what the listener wants to hear with your originals or core material...

If your nu metal band was somehow booked and KNEW that the people there wanted to hear Jazz, learn some; or be competent enough to fake it. OR say no to the gig. Likewise if your jazz fusion newage group takes a gig at a bikerbar learn some 'Stones and blooze-rock standards, or turn down the gig...

This is what I mean it seperates bands from musicians... a "band" plays exactly what they've spent 10 weeks preping for- 10 original tunes, a cover or two and that's about it. nothing wrong with that, but that's what you get.

Musicians, on the other hand, can go off called changes- can play well enough by themselves and as a group that they can fake through something one or two of them have heard once or twice....
    </diatribe>

9. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Okay, enough already!

Thanks but no thanks on the lectures [toothless, shaky old man voice] I've been playing for about 22 years now and I don't need any help from you boys [/toothless, shaky old man voice].

Yes, the band I'm playing in right now is not the epitome of professionalism, and I've played in plenty better. Just happens to be the best I can find at the moment. That's frustrating to me, so excuse me if I'm thin skinned here.

I'm not trying to make money with music at this point - I'm a career professional, and doing this because I love it. I just wanted to share an anecdote in the humor/stories forum that I thought others could identify with. :)

The gig actually went reasonably well. We tailored our material pretty well, we turned down as requested (actually didn't have to reduce stage volume since it was a large venue), and I got to rip out two of the best bass solos I have in awhile.

Oh, and if anyone wants to take over for me in this band, the offer still stands ;)

10. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Nope, my gigs certainly don't suck - each time I go on stage, I go there to tear the place down. And you know what? I think they like my attitude.. :bassist:

Not that I'm trying to lecture or anything - being cocky on stage, that's what I sincerely think playing a good gig is all about. Off the stage, I'm as nice guy as you'll ever find, but you know, "If you can beat their licks, beat their stage presence".

11. jazzcatb17

jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    I would take any gig right now, heck i would just take a band to jam around with.:( oh well.....:rolleyes:

12. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Can you be in Beaumont, TX tomorrow for rehearsal? I gotta do some serious cramming for a pickup blues gig on Friday (Gigspam: Shakespeare's in Houston - with Miss Candy and Tom "Blues Man" Hunter) and since there's nothing on the books for several weeks with my main band, I'm thinking about bailing on practice to do some homework.

[Rodney Dangerfield voice] Take my band, please [/Rodney Dangerfield voice]

:)

13. jazzcatb17

jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    Two thousand miles is a bit too far away for me to usually go for a rehearsal:D

14. they got a problem with havin a 16 year old for a bassist? :D :cool:

15. jazzcatb17

jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    As most serious bands do, in this city if your under 18 might as well settle for some crummy punk or creed rip off band:(

16. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Works for me :D

Where is Duncanville, anyway?

17. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Hmmm... in light of some late breaking info, the band may need a new bassist, if it survives otherwise intact. It's a complicated soap opera (kinda neat, in a way), and calculating outcomes like you would in a chess end game, all possibilities seem to result in my departure. Nothing but an amicable departure, at least as far as I'm concerned, but it's looking inevitable, if not immediate. If my ideal outcome works out, expect a post from me with lots of caps and smilies, bragging about my new band. :D

18. enzyme

enzyme

Feb 4, 2003
    Dude that happens to me every week.