Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Don't you care about my band's show?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Koushaku, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Koushaku

Koushaku The artist never sleeps, only dreams

Mar 10, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Hehehe, thought I'd share, if anyone wants to read...

Today my band played in front of our largest audience so far. We "headlined" a high school talent show (our drummer goes there, the rest of us are in college). We let them borrow our pa, and in exchange we got to play two-three times as long as everybody else.

We've been around for a couple years, but we only play out every once in awhile, a few clubs and some other things. Our largest audience before this was probably about 100-200 people (some stupid botb, I hate pointless competition).

Since the whole high school went to this talent show (it was during school hours) we had, my bandmates estimated, 500 students watching us, and they really liked us.

We played four songs, and during the first song the vocalist and I walked out into the crowd. (The vox had a 50ft mic cable, and I was wireless...yes, I think wireless does degrade the live sound of the instrument a bit, but it's welllllll worth it for the showmanship of maneuverability). After we finished, the audience erupted.

Then we played our second song, my G went out of tune somehow, and it was somewhat noticeable as I play all the way up to the 24th fret (yes, I'm one of THOSE bassists). But it was still good, I adjusted, I was playing a 6 so I moved up.

Then we played our third song, which requires me to slide my bass around to my back and play keyboard for a transition towards the end of the song and the end. It was a little unnerving as I'm use to the keyboard being towards the back of the stage next to my bass amp, but the pa was placed towards the front of the stage and I didn't have an enormous cable, so I had to play it up front. Still, it went okay. Good audience response.

Then we did a screamo cover, "94 hours" by As I Lay Dying. I don't really like it, I didn't know it so I just made it up...just a ton of open power chords. But the emos liked it.

The audience was so much louder and responsive than most of our previous audiences, and it felt really good.

Considering we've had only two half-practices in the last three months since the semester started, and it was our first show with our new drummer (he's been part of "the band" for four months or so, but we haven't had a lot of practices or played out since the summer), I have to say the show went really well. Of course, I'd like it if I weren't so rusty with my bass playing (working full time and attending college classes full time eliminates practice time).

Anyway, people still said I was the best. I wore a santa hat, and jumped around (I haven't had a gig good enough to jump around in over a year). So, a very nice "welcome back" to the stage for the band and myself.

Thanks for reading all this. :D Good gigs are hard to come by.

2. Koushaku

Koushaku The artist never sleeps, only dreams

Mar 10, 2005
    Albany, NY
    ooh, by the way...I wore the got bass? talkbass shirt, and the other bassists got a kick out of it.

3. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    HEY!! I'm the bassist from The Manhattan Project. That was a very rad show. I had a great time. Sorry about my guitarist.. he's a jerk. If you didn't hear, he was saying that you guys sucked and everything. He was just jealous because you guys got to play longer. I knew that you would be on this site because of your shirt. Rock On! :bassist:

4. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    <<<Anyway, people still said I was the best. I wore a santa hat, and jumped around (I haven't had a gig good enough to jump around in over a year). So, a very nice "welcome back" to the stage for the band and myself.
    >>>

What FUN!!! (I miss my wireless terribly.)

Sounds like you had a really great show, and made lots of new fans. Rock on!!!

Cherie :)