Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

don't you hate it when this happens?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Fleaismyhero, Jan 9, 2002.

1. In my Video class we're doing a video scrap book about whatever we wanted and I chose to do it on my favorite bass players. So I was sitting there pasting my pics of Norwood and Geezer on, and this girl asked me what I was doing my project on. I told her my favorite bass players and she didn't know what it was, she said "isn't that like drums or something". And it occurred to me when I read the article about Michael Dimin where he calls Jaco a household name, but Jaco is only a household name amongst our little community of bass players. Most of the general public know nothing about bass. they know nothing about Tom Hamilton, but can tell you what kind of car Steven Tyler and Joe Perry drive. It's amazing how much bass players are ignored, and how nobody has virtually any knowledge of the instrument. I believe what would solve this problem would be a great solo bass artist who makes a giant impact on the music scene. Actually it would probably take several. Bass Players need a Jimi Hendrix or a Stevie Ray Vaughn before people will start paying attention. then maybe I will stop seeing toys with four strings being marketed as guitars and maybe people will give us some attention. It's probably about 30x harder for a solo bass artist to make it than a solo guitarist, and I don't think that's right, and the same should go for every instrument.

2. Bahh, screw all that. People who know music know what the bass is and how important it is. People who don't are usually people who listen to mindless pop.

The moral of the story: Nobody likes anyone who listens to mindless pop.

:D

3. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    actually,just about everyone at my school who listens to rock know guitar and drums but dont know anything about bass.

I remember one guy on this site said he is a grocery-unloader and a guy with a big stereo system pulled up.so the TB'er said something about that he plays bass, and the guy thought bass was done on computers . :eek:

WE NEED SOME ATTENTION!

4. No offense (well maybe a little ;) ) but most rock bands' bass isn't even audiable. Whereas the guitar and drums is. I still think that they don't really know too much about music if they don't know what the bass is.

5. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Preach on my brother, preach on.

6. Come one come all! Join the Church Of Sean. Where every day is a religious holiday!

7. Snood

Snood

Jul 7, 2001
    Some one once asked me why i picked up the bass instead of th guitar and i told them i just love the sound of it ... i hate screachy whiny guitar solos
    and then he asked me but no one really know about bassist and everyone knows abut the guitar player ..and i told him if i cared what people though i would be playing pop...there's my 2 cents

8. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Very true.Majority of rock bands have muted bass.You can barely hear it.But then theres other rock bands where bass is the main instrument like Primus,and Rancid and Tool puts everything in there perfectly.Tool is awesome.

9. Amen to that! I love Justin Chancellos's tone he gets out of his Wal with the pick. I don't like picks, but if I did use a pick, I'd want to have his tone!

10. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I never knew he used a Wal.Actually i never really knew what he used,well because they dont get media attention and their videos is claymation figures killing other claymation figures,and other weird stuff.there music still rocks!

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Back in the old days of the Lakland forum, there used to be GARGANTUAN flame wars over the talent of a guy named Kevin Walker. Most of Kevin's self-esteem was wrapped up in his bass-playing prowess. Compounding the problem is that it was necessary for everyone else in the world to suck, so he could be the unequivocal best bass player of all time.

Needless to say, ol' Kev took a lot of heat from the rest of the folks on the forum (except for me, of course), but I did point out the fact that bass playing is not an especially productive path to universal fame and fortune.

Next time you're out and about, stop a few strangers and ask them who Jaco Pastorius was. You know, that guy who is arguably the best bass player ever, in the whole wide world? Yeah, that one. Essentially, from a statistical standpoint, approximately zero percent of the population have ever heard of him. So if you want to be famous, play basketball.

12. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I read an interiview that John Paul Jones once did. He said that while Led Zeppelin toured America, Robert Plant, jimmy Page, and John Bonham wound up as prisoners of the hotels. He on the other hand, could go outside andwalk the streets, because nobody seemed to recognize who he was(although he did say he had to go in and out the back doors.)

13. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Well I suppose Flea is that type of person....he has so much stage presence compared to the guitar player...and all those wicked bass solos demands alot of attention...usually first thing to come out of someones mouth is if I can play any Flea.

14. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    A friend of mine told me about a show where some guys were asked about their favourite bass players (this show was about underrated things or something..) and the only guy that answered said Flea..
    But in Iceland, there was a beauty contest, and the girls were asked who their favourite band member was, and the majority of them said bassists:)

15. Ha ha! I have to smile!

I think unless people are keen enough to watch live music, they probably have no idea how the individual instruments contribute to the whole sound.

Some of my friends had been watching me play for months before they realised I had less strings than a guitar and actually sounded different!

My drummer is a very keen Beatles fan. He recently turned round to my friend and told her very proudly that his drum kit was the same as the one that Ringo had played..... to which she said 'Ringo who?'.......Ha ha ha! That will always bring a smile to my face! :)

Anyway, I'm guilty of not knowing many names of people. Maybe its a symptom of my age or my sex, but I like to devote what limited time I have to listening to what I like, or working stuff out to play, and its not important.....but I do know Jaco..... and Ringo ha ha! :)

16. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    No kidding. You knew it was a dangerous job when you took it. Now get back over by the drummer, and start shaggin' them roots.

And if all you play are straight eighths with a pick, don't b!tch about being mistaken for a guitar player. Because you are one. :)

17. Nikehawk

Nikehawk Guest

Jul 29, 2001
    Yorkville, IL, USA
    :cool: Words I live by!!

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I find it sad that with all the music out there, I've actually had people ask me "What's a bass?" when I tell them what I play....Like Munji said Wanna be famous, play basketball.

Myonly major beef in this area of non recognition is that so many rock bands have relegated bassists to a tolken position. Not in the mix, even live. If there isn't gonna be any bass, don't hire a guy to just stand there and mime...

19. Um....SHUT UP!:D