1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Don't you hate it when you cut a finger and can't play?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BartmanPDX, Apr 15, 2006.

1. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I was putting up a fence in my backyard today, in the rain, in the mud, in the cold, in Oregon. They should change the State Flower here to "mud." :spit:

I cut my left index finger open on a bracket -- really sliced it up pretty good. At the end of the day, with the toddler put to bed, I happily picked up my bass, and realized that I can't play with my screwed up finger. :(

On a positive note, this is my first foray into using a nail gun, and they ROCK. It would have taken me 3-4 days to do what I did in a few hours.

Tomorrow, it's back out into the mud and rain, but this time, I'm going to be more careful, because not being able to play stinks BIG TIME.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Dude, you can't play without your left index finger? I have cut index fingers a bunch, and I play around it. It gave me a great chance to develop strength in my other fingers. Losing the use of one finger won't stop me from playing bass!

3. Real bass players don't worry about an injury affecting their playing - they worry about the blood corroding the strings!

4. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    i had a nasty splinter under my left hand pinky nail which i couldn't remove; and if need be i could have worked around it, but i chose to take a few days off. since i'm not gigging at the moment, and all my fingers are equally important when i practice, i figured the few days of might do me good. i decided to take the time to really listen to and rediscover some older bands- and when i could comfortably play again all was well......

5. BartmanPDX

Thanks for the support, dude. :rolleyes:

Yes, I can still play, just not very well, at least for a while. I keep subconsciously trying to use it -- I've played using it for 20 years, so it's hard not to fall into old habits, and it's pretty painful.

On the upside, I finished the fence, and saved $2500 by doing it myself. Bergantino, perhaps??? :D

Good idea, though, v-12 -- One of the most important parts of playing is listening -- maybe it's time to focus on that for a while. :)

6. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    As 'V-12' has implied... you will eventually heal, and you'll once agian be right back into playing. As far as 'Trevorus' is concerned... don't be harsh on the dude... there is a point to be considered there... in spite of his tone, and tone is sometimes difficult to determine over I-net text....

...maybe you can take something positive out of 'Trevorus' remarks. Try playing with your 'healthy' fingers... see what you can accomplish... ;)

7. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    I've played with a nasty cut on a finger twice, but only because that's how the bills get paid.
    If I didn't have a gig I would have very gingerly worked on not using that finger!
    First time I did it there was lots of blood on the fingerboard and everone thought it was cool, until they found out it was real!
    They thought I was Gene Simmons!

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    On the left hand I'll superglue 'em shut.

I've been known to do 8 hour musical orchestra rehersals that KILL your fingers to the point of blood. Superglue is your friend.

If not, a bandaid and a few painkillers will work.

As a matter of fact I jsut managed to make my right thumb gush blood. I was playing bass within the hour.

9. There's only one thing worse than what you've gone through, and that's being a nail-biter and damaging yourself to the point where it hurts to play. Like you've gotta get that last hangnail and you're too lazy to look for the nail clippers.

Disclaimer: I have heard of such bass players but will not admit to knowing any personally. :bag:

10. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Cut or jammed fingers are the reason why I learned new ways of doing things. For example, all movements done with my index and ring I can do also with my middle and pinky.

And I've used superglue and bandages as well in the past, but I'd rather have them heal right. But once you get some heavy duty calluses, cuts from playing your bass won't happen as much. But if you're still getting cuts on your fingers after developing calluses then lighten your touch and let the amp do the work!

11. Super Glue.

12. man, im an apprentice toolmaker/fitter i get steel splinters all day long and i cut my hands pretty regulary, well, creating steel punches and blades, i still play all the time, either dont use that finger, play through the pain, or put a band aid on

13. Yo, another stumptowner!! Where abouts? I'm a little south of Milwaukie.

I just had sort of the same thing. Cut the back of m left index finger with a paring knife. I needed stitches. GOD, did that hurt when I tried to play. Took me a week to recover to point where I could practice my normal amount of time (30 minutes)

Rock on
    Eric

14. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Hey, I wasn't trying to be mean or anything. I have just been there a lot. You can work around it. That what we bass players are for, we adapt to our circumstances. We're like chameleons. I hope you heal up soon, but until then, you can play with all the other fingers on your left hand. It's a good technique builder.

15. BartmanPDX

I'm out near Tanasbourne/Hillsboro. I managed to cut it so deep that I thought for sure I'd need stitches, but my mother-in-law (who's a doctor) was watching my daughter while I was building the fence, managed to close it well enough that I was able to avoid a trip to the hospital. My father-in-law also had a look at it (he's an orthopedic surgeon) and said I came really close to severing the nerve in my finger, which would have REALLY caused me problems.

I've been trying to play around it, but it's hard to break old habits. Luckily, I should be as good as new in a week or so.

I'm sure glad I was wearing gloves, though -- the fence bracket sliced right through the glove -- so if I hadn't been wearing gloves, I might not be able to use my index finger at all right now, or if things had gone completely wrong, ever again -- that was a close call, in my book. :eek:

16. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Be more careful next time! I really haev learned some hard lessons with power tools and sharp things. Your hands are some of the most important things on your body. Just think about all the times you use them. Bass playing is just a small, yet enjoyable, part. There are other good uses for hands that you'd be depressed without, (Snap snap, grin grin, wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more?)

17. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Call me a 'wus'... whatever... but I've always had a personal philosophy: power tools and musicianship do not mix well. The sight of a hand-held power saw... that blade spinning at such an incredible speed... and the oh-so-many possibilities of lopping off a digit... :eek: ...just scares the living sh-t outa me! This goes way back to little kid time. I started organ lessons at seven... My parents... but especially my mom... always told me to take extra care of my hands...

...to this very day I have a borderline fetish regarding the care of my hands. Hell... I'll wash them the moment I get them dirty. If I'm at a restaurant where I'm eating something rather sloppy... like ribs, or crab legs... I'll wash my hands immediately after eating. What the heck... I'll wash my hands after eating anywhere! However... the sight of power tools really does frighten me... :bag: ...maybe I should seek counseling... :(

18. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    I've always (for at least 10 years) used superglue for the gap between my fingertip and nail but never yet for actual open cuts.

Thanks for the new (at least to me) tip!

Now I can hardly wait to cut a finger again so I can give it a go!:D

19. power tools can only cause damage if the person who uses them is incompetant, not properly trained...or just a plain idiot...no offence...but its true...if you follow all safety precautions you're fine....i work with 170ton press machinery, they leave more than a small mark

20. TheJimster

TheJimster

Feb 21, 2006
    Pensacola, FL
    You'll be fine! I cut my my right index and middle fingers before. I still played bass it doesn't hurt. Remeber it's only a flesh wound! :p