Don't you just hate it when teh battery dies?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Davidoc, Nov 1, 2002.

1. I was playing at a football game for marching band, and the damn battery died. It was bad. I was watching the back of my poweramp as the fan sputtered on and off. Faking it sucks.
  2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    and i bet nooobody noticed it

so sad :(
  3. The battery in my bass always seems to die right before a gig, and I usually notice it right before we go on, so it takes extra long for us to annoying. I guess it's better than it dying during a gig though.
  4. oh, hehe, it's not the battery in my bass, it's the battery that powers the amp. I got it charged up for the competition saturday though.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm sure the tubas had you covered. Good ol' tubas. Anyway, if I didn't have a backup bass, I'd just invest two dollars of the $3,000 or so I earn at a gig and put a new battery in each time. It's cheap insurance.

ROFLMAO! Our gig last Friday night, we played for a cut of the door. We opened for a Neil Diamond tribute act, and just played one set. Whoa man! My cut was SIX BUCKS! HOLY MOLY! I'm gonna run out and get me one o' them fancy taper-wound B strings everybody's talking about!
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Or have an Active/Passive preamp. That's a nice feature. It'd be more expensive than a 9 volt every gig, but cheaper in the long run (assuming the bass is in it for the long haul).
  7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    geeze, the battery powering the amp went dead :eek:

I did bass in Marching band back in my youth, luckily I had an outlet to plug into... the pre amp and wireless were another story ;)
  8. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i can't imagine making $6 at a gig! i should come out by you, they obviously pay more than around here... :rolleyes:
  9. The only battery thats died on me was my flanger battery dying before a show... of course I didn't notice it 'til I was all set up with the pedal and I was getting no sound:(

Not a huge deal... only use it on a couple songs, but it adds a nice effect to it.
  10. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    hehe, reminds me of playing in marching band last year!

i played the "electric tuba" as we called it.

i used the school's crappy spaghetti string cord with an awful plug, and during a competition, i did i visual thingy at the end of the first number where i had to move the school's bass (be danged if i bring out my own during hurricane season!) in a lateral wave like motion...

...and BURR, ZEE, CHIRP!

half of the audience burst into laughter.

unfortunately, i didn't quite learn from the experience (eh, gard? brendan?).

11. That's pretty funny brad. What did the judges think? :)

Oh yah, it's interesting, I play in the pit, but I was at finals yesterday, and a number of bands had marching bassists with wireless setups. That'd be cool, but not fun with my bass; too damn heavy to do that.
  12. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    did those wireless bassists have to march?

i don't really remember much about that particular competition. we played in, like, four, and i hated playing in, like, four of them.

on one competition (not that one), our pit and percussion got a superior. in fact, we got a few superiors. maybe that one, too?

i have a whole long thread i started a year ago called "bass in a marching band?" that oughtta have all the info i need, since it was kind of an online journal moreso than a discussion!

13. yes, the wireless bassists had to march.

Oh, yah, we won high percussion (1st) out of like 18, and 5th overall at finals. It's weird, bassists are considered percussion.

Just out of curiosity, what organization did you play in? Was it USSBA? There were alot of New Jersey Bands at finals.

BTW, I think was the only one with an 850w amp on the field :p
  14. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    finally! someone has called me out on the whole new jersey thing!

jeez'm it's been about a month or so, too!

okay, i really live in florida (the same city as our very own brendan omnibus).

but! i have a theory that port saint lucie is actually owned by new jersey, despite the city's being in the floridian peninsula.

if you came down here, you'd see what i mean.

that said, we competed in the FBA. (florida band association).

i think that that is actually the biggest competition; there were several others. maybe the FBA "owned" the other competitions. i don't really know. i didn't really pay attention to much anything else than what time i needed to show up, anyway!

and about bass being percussion: what's the cross between a drummer and a musician?

you guessed it...
  15. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You say it like I'm some sort of celebrity...

Please continue, my Ego needs feeding! :D
  16. kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    well, moderator, celebrity, same thing. hehe
  17. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
  18. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    For the life of me I can't imagine why anyone would want a bass guitar playing with a marching band. Its like having a live piano on the field.

But that's just me . . .
  19. It's actually becoming popular now. There are now a number of bands with bassists. It really reenforces the low end.
  20. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    lousy tubas!