1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Don't you know what that song is REALLY about?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Plucky The Bassist, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I'm sure this has been done before at sometime, but humor me as I'm bored at work and this is the humor section ;)

Maybe I'm being persnickety, but there are just some songs that I see in advertising or what have you and I want to shout "Don't you know what the song is REALLY about???". Melt With You by Modern English used in a Hershey's commercial (several family members singing it....ewwww), Gimme All Your Lovin' by ZZ Top in The Santa Clause movie, and I Want Candy by Bow Wow Wow used in freakin everything to name a few. All three of these songs have a rather blatant sexual component to them and I find it both funny and weird.

Any songs you hear in movies or advertising and you go "whoa...somebody needs to read all the lyrics first..."? Come on, be persnickety! ;)

2. Bruce Springsteen's Born in the USA was used out of context by a political campaign in the 80s, and they got called on it.

I'm pretty sure I heard Violent Femmes' Blister in the Sun in a commercial, which amazed me both for it's actual meaning and for the fact that someone had allowed the song to sell out.

The most amazing one to me was a Miller Lite beer commercial featuring Sleepy Silver Door by Dead Meadow. A stoner rock song based on an HP Lovecraft short story about a guy trying to travel in the dream world...to sell beer to bros and frat boys. :confused: I'm fairly certain the band had no say in that decision...

3. BigDanT

BigDanT Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Indianapolis
    How about YMCA being used in just about anything I even saw it used once during a grade school basketball game. Or Lust for Life in a commercial for cruise ships??

4. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    OK, I'll play. This isn't from movies or advertising, but it fits the theme of a song not being about what you'd probably think it was. The song "Stuck Like Glue" was a big hit a few years ago for the country/pop band Sugarland. It sounds for all the world like just another typical love song: "You and me baby, we're stuck like glue," set to a bouncy, danceable arrangement. But the official video tells a different -- darker, but humorously -- story:

Disclaimer: In general, I hate most pop music and don't care much for most country music, but for whatever reason I really dig Sugarland. Jennifer Nettles just floats my boat.

5. 2.6kHz

2.6kHz

Jul 9, 2014
    Stow, MA
    Pepsi using "Brown Sugar".

KFC using "sweet home alabama" just makes my brain hurt.

6. BigDanT

BigDanT Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Yikes! I didn't remember the Pepsi Brown Sugar one. That's really a case of not listening to the lyrics.

7. 2.6kHz

2.6kHz

Jul 9, 2014
    Stow, MA
    For those who don't remember it:

**fixed link**

Then there is Wrangler with their "Fortunate Son" ad campaign, that's a pretty misguided one. Kinda enjoying the new Salt n Pepa "Push It" Geico ads too, those are awesome.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  8. Plucky The Bassist

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Definitely some great additions here, keep em coming!!

9. Went to multiple weddings where the bride and groom danced to "The Blowers Daughter" by Damien Rice..... SMDH

10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

NSFW

11. Joebarnes

Joebarnes

Oct 4, 2011
    Surrey, BC
    I remember lots of people's wedding song being "little miss can't be wrong" by the Spin Doctors when the song was big. Listen to the lyrics... they aren't exactly flattering to the woman.

12. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Similar to Joebarnes above, "Every Breath You Take" by the Police was the wedding song for a lot of people.
    Too bad they didn't realize it was actually about a disturbed possessive/stalker type of situation.

Spectrum and basslayer like this.
  13. Plucky The Bassist

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yeah the whole big brother stuff, Sting has commented on it before and says he finds it bothersome that people do that lol

14. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    "If I Should Fall From Grace With God" by The Pogues used in a Subaru commercial. I ... no.

15. Mattster

Mattster

Aug 14, 2014
    Long Island
    "Lust for Life" by Iggy Pop.

jthisdell likes this.
  16. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    This Sidney Bechet song was covered by the Andrew Sisters. I don't think it is about eating "seafood"...

17. This is horrible but there was an old online site (ebaumsworld I think it was) that had all sorts of viral videos and stuff... one of them was a song with a chorus of "In Nagasaki, we like b#kk&ke"... anyway, my friend got home to her mom and little brother dancing around the kitchen singing it..! o_O Ouch. Needless to say, her mom didn't know what it meant (nor did her little brother, obviously).

Spectrum likes this.
  18. danosix

danosix

May 30, 2012
    Up here in Canada a Bank (BMO) used "The Times They Are a Changing" - either totally inappropriate use or a warning...
    "Wont Be Fooled Again" for a Car commercial - ummm, isn't this song about powerful interests (like the auto industry say0 fooling the public to have their way?
    Also in Canada - "How Soon is Now" for a Beer Commercial - ummm this is about how vacuous and unfulfilling the club scene is.

19. And let's not forget the hundred different stories about some unfortunate personal experience Phil Collins endured which inspired the lyrics of "In the Air Tonight", despite the fact that he said himself that he doesn't really know what the song is about and doesn't understand where all of the, "my friend was raped/drowned" stories came from.

20. Ritchie_Darling

Ritchie_Darling Bass @ AZ Supporting Member

May 22, 2006
    Arizona
    Impulse buyer...
    Beautiful World by Devo in Target commercials...... EEK!

Spectrum likes this.