Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Don't you love it when this happens?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Tash, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Band practice today, we're jamming on one of our first two songs. All is well except the guitarist hasn't worked our a solo yet....we really wanted to keep going with the song so I just said 'Fine, I'll do it on bass'.

Of course I get incredulous stares, but we jam the song anyway and I slip in a nice melodic lead with a few very quick jacoesque licks.

Band agrees "OK, why don't you do the solo from now on..." :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a really flashy bass player. I spend 90% of the time locked with the drums laying down solid foundation and moving the song, but its still gratifying to be able to step forward like that and fill the guitarists spot :bassist:

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

That's the way to do it! We (us bassists) have to take over the guitars soloing job to make the bass more known than the guitar (even though this will never happen). So in the future, instead of people thinking that basses are guitars, they think that guitars are basses (again, I do not think this will ever happen, too many of them guitarists out there).

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Wait, wait, wait, wait.

You're complaining that you have a solo?!

4. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    No, I'm pleased that A) my band wanted me to fill the dead spot in the song with a bass solo, B) that I was able to pull off one that sounded cool enough for them to decide to keep it.

5. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    good on ya, bubba!
    :D