1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Don't you love the feeling after a good setup?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by grifff, Apr 25, 2009.

1. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    Towson, Maryland
    I finally finished setting up my 6 string(dual truss rods are a pain the the neck) and it finally plays quite well.
    I love the feeling of accomplishment after setting up your own instrument exactly how you like it.

Anyone else set up there own instruments and feel the same way?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yes, but I would also assume alot of TB members don't, or have never played a properly set up bass, hence, all the complaints about otherwise well made basses.

3. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Need a cigarette?

:)

4. YES thank you, but I do not want to " just talk", after.

5. murseli

murseli

Apr 2, 2009
    Finland
    Indeed, specially when you are trying different setups whole day and can't really decide about for example action height and then you notice that you found the perfect one for your own style.. the feeling is priceless.

6. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    LOL, you and your bass can cuddle afterwards.

:D

7. Just had my '08' MIA Jazz V set w/new strings - sounds and plays great. Yeah, I'm set for awhile, really though the Jazz didn't need much setup, it's such a nice bass that it remains pretty stable when setups are done to it, but I'm happy and that's what counts.:bassist:

8. I do all my own setups, and as far as I'm concerned - I do the best work because I know what I want, and I'm meticulous about it to the point of overkill.
    I save lots of money, and my basses are setup to perfection the way I like it.

9. unclejane

unclejane Guest

Jul 23, 2008
    Same here. I all my own setups as well. This way, I don't have to follow inane rules about measurements or etc. I just get out the nutfiles, allen wrenches and screwdriver and git 'er done.

The other thing about it is my tastes change from time to time and I can tweak to accomodate that because I know what to adjust on the instrument and how to adjust it.
    Also, I may go to a different type of string which can sometimes require a complete run-through of my setup procedure. It's nice to have the ability to do that on my own.

LS

10. mwiles30

mwiles30

Dec 31, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH
    My Jazz Bass has never seen the inside of a shop (at least while I've owned it). I've always done my own setups, including filing the saddles on a Badass II bridge that I installed myself (which isn't too bad, it is a direct replacement after all).

It's very rewarding. Especially when you get the intonation perfect.

11. sandman

sandman

Apr 13, 2004
    Melbourne
    makes all the difference in the world. just finished one myself last night.

12. Yes!! I do all my own setups, repairs, mods and even a refretting job. I started out by practicing on an old Electra and got more brave with each project as I went :D I've had several compliments by other players who's basses I've set up for them inlcuding a very old, VERY NICE Alembic that was in an abusive relationship :D

IMHO, it would be worth it for every serious bass player to invest in a "project bass" just to learn how to do setups, etc.

13. SamJ

SamJ Founder - Fender MIA Club

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    If I had a nickel for every "Fenders' suck" thread I responded to here, where the root cause was that the guy made the determination based on picking on up off a rack at Guitar Center, which had been handled by 50+ people in the last 7 days, been thru 50% humidity changes and has worn and damaged strings.. I'd be a millionaire.

First and foremost a good set up is as important or more important than just about any other factor in the design, materials, and features of a bass.. yet people will buy a $1200 instrument and not expect to put $30-50 into a proper setup.

It would be like ordering a Steinway piano for $150K and not wanting to spend the $3000 to get it regulated and tuned..

I took the time to learn to set up my own basses since I want to be able to frequently do it, due to humidity changes, or maybe different brand strings.. and I pretty much check/re-set my basses every time I change strings.