Dontcha just love that "new bass smell"? :)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Sep 5, 2003.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Well I got my Sterling today :) I had never played a Musicman before but I love the tone. Very versatile for what I want to do. Had to put some relief in the neck when I got it..that part is straightened out. However, and I'm alittle bugged by this, I think there are 2 or 3 high frets that need to be leveled. The 6th fret on the A buzzes really easily and seems like it could use a file down, and the 8th and 9th on the E buzz just a tad. I know its probably not a big deal, but still irritating when you get a new bass. I'm probably going to wait until my tech is in on Tuesday and have him do what he has to do..shouldn't be a big deal. All the other frets are fine, no buzz what soever. I just know it would be kind of stupid to send it back or send it to EB and have them fix it. What does everyone else think?

Other than that, the bass is very comfortable, light, very easy to play. Beside the frets in question its contructed very well. Very happy with it :)
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    It dissapoints me sometimes when nice basses arent set up well. My Hohner came and was PERFECT, no fret buzz anywhere. Its my baby :)
  3. Personally, as long as you can't hear the buzz through the amp I don't care.
  4. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Yea you can unfortunately. But no worries. I'll have my local tech look at it on Tuesday or whenever I can get down there. He's pretty good I'm sure he'll take of it. All the other frets are fine and the neck is as solid as a rock. Its just the 6th on the A and POSSIBLY the 8th and 9th on the E..those are in question. I might just need to tweek the neck.

Either way, I spoke to Beaver at Bass Central and he says to have my tech look at it and to let him know if everything is ok. If there are any problems getting it fixed, to give them a call, they'll either fix it or replace it. And he said don't worry about the 48 hour trial period. How cool is that :) Either way I know I'll be taken care of. I'm actually gonna put on some DR lights..that might make a difference. Maybe the bass doesn't like Ernie Ball's..ya know, sibling rivalry and everything :)
  5. good luck getting that taken care of, I love sterlings and you definitely got a sweet bass.....
  6. Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    Sterlings rules !
    Expecially mine :)
    But I hope you dont sweat too much with yours hands..
    I was obliged to change the finish on the maple neck.. It was becoming green :mad:
    Now it's ok :D
  7. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Well, I'm actually returning the bass to Ernie Ball because I noticed that there are some small "knicks" or "gouges" in the maple fretboard pretty close to a few frets..There is are about 3 in all. Its my guess that its the resulting of a fret file or something.

Either way Bass Central won't accept it back for this reason, so they're having me ship it to Ernie Ball and EB gets it, I'll get my refund. Minus shipping of course...bah :)

But I re-ordered another Sterling. Same bass..honeyburst, black pickguard, only this time I'm getting a rosewood board. The maple is nice but I need something alittle mellower.

Other than that, awesome bass :) Its just a shame that I gotta go through this.
  8. haplo07

haplo07 Guest

Apr 13, 2002
    Tinley Park, IL
    i find it funny. all that **** to get a new MM to play smooth, and yet i can pick up a OLP on various occasions in Guitar Center, and not have one problem playing them. and you know how many times a guitar gets knocked, falls, ...well the abuse that goes on in there. i just find it funny that the licensed import copy plays smoother than your MIA original. i know every brand mia and imports have occasional lemons, but still it's funny