Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Doobie Brothers bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Mark Wilson, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Has the bass player from the Doobie Brothers always been Skylark? I believe that's his name? Or he is he a more recent bassist? I got the live at the wolftrap DVD and it was incredible. That guy grooves like no other!

2. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    AFAIK, all the classic DB stuff was done by Tiran Porter.
    Great player.

Slug

3. FR5

FR5

Feb 12, 2004
    Netherlands
    Yes, Tiran was responsible for all those tastefull bass lines, from the "What were once vices" to the "Minute by minute" album. If the Doobs are ever in need of a bass player they can give me a call, I have played along with all of these albums many times and I think I could pull it off :)

I have seen them live with Skylark a couple of times, great bass player but unfortunately his bass playing in usually somewhat obscured in the mix, not a very punchy sound like Tiran has. But he brings a lot of energy and groove to the shows, and I would recommend the Wolftrap DVD to anyone, these guys are excellent musicians and put on a great show.

Steven

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Tiran Porter came onboard earlier than the Vices album...his tenure started with the Doobs' 2nd album, Toulouse Street("Listen To The Music", "Jesus Is Just Alright With Me". "Rockin' Down The Highway", etc). That's Porter on "China Grove" & "Long Train Running", too.

The Doobs' 1st album had Dave Shogren on bass; IIRC, he passed away maybe 5 years ago? I think I read about it in Bass Player.
    (The Doobs were but a 4-tet on that 1st album...2 guitars-bass-1 drummer).

After Tiran Porter, Willie Weeks actually played bass for the Doobies...One Step Closer & a double Live album.
    Porter eventually returned for a couple of late 80s/early '90s albums.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of Porter...we played many of their tunes back in high school. "Another Park, Another Sunday" is one of my favorites.
    "Rio", "Wheels Of Fortune", & "8th Avenue Shuffle" are 3 classics from Taking It To The Streets.

5. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    I saw the Doobies last night at Summerfest in Milwaukee, and I have to say that Skylark did a very good job (played an Alembic with the red LED's in the fretboard). I couldn't get past the the thought, though, that anybody who could rip Porter's riffs from a recording could have done the same. Add to it that the bass was booming but very non-descript - no real definition. The guy was very high energy on stage, however.

6. toddcotham

toddcotham

May 12, 2005
    Lubbock, TX
    Word. I saw them a few weeks ago with Skylark on the bass. Great show by the way. See them if you get a chance. But I thought Skylark added considerably to the show. He has alot of energy and great stage presence. Handles the axe pretty good and not a bad voice to go with it.

7. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Actually, Tiran played bass on 'One Step Closer' and then left the band. Willie Weeks can only be heard on the "Farewell Live" album...

Tiran is a severely underrated bassist with a wonderful understanding of groove, space and harmony. :bassist:

Although I enjoy watching Skylark I do find that he over plays and, at times, loses the groove originally written into the songs by Tiran... just my opinion.... ;)

8. stacystarkweath

stacystarkweath

Aug 11, 2005
    Tiran is one of alltime favs too...been listening to him alot lately...Skylark was actually in Earth Wind and Fire for awhile as a guitartist if I recall correctly. Believe it or not, Tiran often played a short scale with a pick...GREAT!

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Wow, ya learn something new everyday here.

Thanks!

10. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    You're welcome! Actually, Tiran is a good friend of mine and is a fascinating guy to talk to :)

11. stacystarkweath

stacystarkweath

Aug 11, 2005
    Really? How cool is that. Way back when, right at the peak of their fame, The Doobie's called it quits (this is the FIRST time they broke up) and had a big bash at the Greek Theater in Berkeley. I was twenty and through a major stroke of luck, had backstage passes. After thier killer "last show" the scene was celebratory backstage. Pretty much out of nowhere, Tiran came over and shook my hand and introduced himself while everyone else partied. I always really appreciated that thoughtful touch on his part, to recognized as either a) uncomfortable in the surroundings, or b) had an instinct I was a fellow bassist or c) both. Tell Tiran he was a huge influence on my career and I really appreciate his talents and musicianship.

12. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Will do! He'll be flattered to hear it :)
    You'll be glad to know he is still just as cool! :cool:

Check out:
    http://www.whitealbumlive.com/whitealbum/bio-porter.php
    for news on his current activity! :bassist: