Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Dookie" bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by squierplayer120, Jan 19, 2005.

1. squierplayer120

squierplayer120

Nov 17, 2004
    Wisconsin
    I want to get a bass that sounds like the G-3 used by Mike Dirnt on "Dookie" but I don't want to shell out +$1000 for a used G-3, any suggestions?

2. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    A Fender P will do the job.Or the Mike Dirnt sig oddly enough!!

3. yeah, i'd just get some light gauge strings on a p...i've been able to get it on a Jazz as well...i just threw on some light guage strings on that as well, and some clever EQ'ing

4. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    A Fender P was used to record most of Dookie.

G3's go for less than $1000 too. A Grabber will get you the look for the least amount.

5. squierplayer120

squierplayer120

Nov 17, 2004
    Wisconsin
    I've got a P with heavy gauge strings, so I guess I'll have to try lighter strings. Oh, and uh, in every video I've seen for Dookie, he's playing a G-3.
    Later.

6. yeah, i've only seen the P come out post dookie...like around warning (thats the name of the cd right?)

7. Mike started using his P bass when he recorded Nimrod. Yeah, and Mike has said he used a P bass on Dookie, but some of the songs really sound like hes using the G 3.

8. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Just one question - what's a G3?

9. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    gibson grabber

[​IMG]

10. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Its a Gibson Grabber, but its got 3 songle coil pickups :)

11. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    He used the G3 live during the Dookie tours and in the videos but it was recorded mainly with a P bass. This has been stated by him in numerous interviews. The song most noted as not sounding like a P Bass is Longview which was not recorded with a P Bass and also was not recorded with the G3. I forget what he said he recorded that with....a Kay bass?? I forget. Either way I would bet there are only two songs on Dookie that feature the G3.

There were three basses in this serious. The Ripper was the top of the line with two humbuckers, a Varitone switch, set neck and classic Gibson headstock. The Grabber had one sliding humbucker pickup with the Flying V headstock and bolt on neck and the G3 which was the same as the Grabber but had 3 single coil pickups. All were maple bodies and necks. The Grabber and G3 used the same bodies with one large swimming pool route to accomodate both pickup systems.

12. squierplayer120

squierplayer120

Nov 17, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Oh thanks for the P reminder, i didn't know that.
    later