Doom 2

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Mar 20, 2003.

1. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I've been playing this game for the past couple of days and what great fun it is. Though it really isn't much of a "sequel". It just has some new monsters, new levels, and now a double barrel shot-gun. The thing is though, can this game be beaten on ultra-violence level without the use of god mode? I use to always love to play the first Doom on UV. You had more baddies to shoot up and it was just grittier. Still, the game was beatable. Doom 2, UV is just insane. I played up till The Crusher and thought I was doing pretty good. It was rough but I did pretty good. Then I got to Dead Simple and got my butt kicked hard. I put it on god mode to beat the level and took it off for Tricks and Traps. Then after messing around in that level, It's apperent that playing this game on Ultra-violence is very, very, very hard. Anyways, anyone else love the Doom games?
  2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I'm not too big on those 1st person shooters, but I CAN'T WAIT for Doom 3! With the graphics of today's video games, it should be AMAZING! I'll have to get it, just cause I grew up on Doom. First computer game I remember having.
  3. Doom 3 should be a good game. I've seen the screenshots so far, and it's unlike anything I've seen before. I'm not expecting a very lengthy or deep game though. With that much emphasis on graphics, I just expect less substance. Who knows, it could turn into a 4 GB epic of a game.
  4. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    I thought Doom 2 was good, some of the new baddies (ooh, the Arch Vile!) were good,and some of the levels were pretty cool. It just had BIG shoes to fill in my book. Doom really did a number on me. Made my tough Staten-Islander roomie scream like a little girl once too! :D

I think I got more out of Quake single player than Doom 2. The sounds in Quake were really amazing (not to suprising from Trent Reznor though).

I'm pretty excited to see Doom 3. There wasn't much plot to Doom, and it was just great. Not sure if Doom3 could get by with the same formula however. We'll see!
  5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA

It's all about Wolfenstein. AND BLAKE STONE!!!
  6. Now we're talking!! Remember catacombe abyss? What was the other one...someone's dungeon..can't think what the heck it was called....Ken's Labyrinth!!! That's the one. Damn those were classics.

Question is, has anyone here played the original Wolfenstein? No, not the doom-style game, the original ascii art dungeon adventure!
  7. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I have seen Doom 2 beaten without cheats in Ultra-Violence mode. However, it's crazy hard and the only way to do it is to get the monsters to fight each other.

I have played the demo of Doom 3! The graphics are the best I've seen of any 3D shooter - BY FAR. It's really gross.
  8. I completed doom 1 shareware in nightmare mode. It took about a week and I was saving every time I went through a doorway!
  9. I haven't played it in years, but I've beat it on ultra violence a number of times without cheats.

Doom 3 will be cool, except my computer probably wont be able to run it at max settings.
  10. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    erghhh....fantasy shooter games are for lamers. I still live in Counter Strike.
  11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    boooyah. old school butt kicking. i could probably run 20 or 25 seperate doom 2 games on my computer without it burping. :D some of the user made doom 2 levels are really awesome.
  12. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    YEAH YEAH YEAH! Ive played all of those games! REMEMBER RISE OF THE TRIAD!?!?!? KICK ASS! It came out a little later though. God, brings back memorys of old apogee games. Commander Keen, Cosmo, man, those games were awesome. And I haven't played the original ASCII Version, I think i'm little young for that. But man, those old games bring back memorys. Oh my god. Lets go wayyyyyy back. To a game called. JILL OF THE JUNGLE. SHE COULD TURN INTO A FREAKING BIRD!
  13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Eff all that, it's all about the original Commander Keen!!
  14. Yeah, I remember Rise of the Triad (ROTT, remember?) but I didn't like it. The maps were too random for my liking.

Ahhh, well if you wanna play em again, go to:

and yes, I am advocating piracy, like it or not.
  15. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Go you! I got the whole wolfiensten from Kazaa. I mean, if i could FIND these games to BUY , for all the 3 bucks they would be worth to people today, I really would.
  16. Well....actually you can still buy them directly from the publishers. ID and Apogee both still sell their old games. A bit stingy really when you consider how old they are.
  17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Wolfie and Doom/Doom2 were way cool, but my friends and I preferred Quake2 and its mods. Killer face-to-face LAN parties, and also lots of fun meeting up on Gamespy.

Quake1 was too drab, Quake3 was too arcadey. Can't wait for Doom3... the day it comes out, I'm going to upgrade my PC to the latest and greatest.
  18. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    The best is, he wasn't even playing! I was on the final level of Shores of Hell, continually running away from the Cyberdemon. I was in one of the rooms in that little middle building, thought it was on the other side of the map. I turned to talk to one of my roommates, at which point the Cyberdemon walked into the doorway. The other roomie screamed.
  19. Oh man, I used to be a Doom FREAK. I could finish I or II on Ultra-Violence easily without keeping weapons/ammo over each new level - if I let myself keep the ammo, I could finish the entire game without dying. Except that last level on Doom II - that would kick my ass now and then. I also used to make maps and some other add-ins, all long gone now.

There will never be another game like Doom. I gotta say though, the most intense experience I've ever had on a computer has got to be my first taste of multiplayer Quake. Mouse hand cramps, massive sweating, involuntary shouting, everything.

Those were the days.
  20. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Yeah, the first time I stayed up all night playing deathmatch Quake on a LAN. . .it was something. We had half a dozen guys or so, and a handful of Reaper Bots. That was crazy.