1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Doom metal pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Yeldarbo, May 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Yeldarbo

Yeldarbo

May 17, 2018
    Im currently using an esp ltd 6 stringer and mainly play a mix of doom metal.
    anyone have any recommendation for any decent fuzzy pedals that wont break the bank?

2. K-2

K-2

Nov 30, 2016
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Electro-Harmonix Green Russian Reissue - This was one and only fuzzy pedal I tried. So I hope others will give you more suggestions.
    But this pedal sounded huge, with tons of volume, fuzziness and I paid about 70EUR new (guess its about 80USD)
    Check it out !

3. Yeldarbo

Yeldarbo

May 17, 2018
    awesome, ill have to check it out. was using my mac with the crappy predownloaded FX. but will do, thanks man.

K-2 likes this.
  4. AddicLee

AddicLee

Apr 27, 2018
    Nice Matt
    [​IMG]

5. Behringer BDI21 or Joyo American Sound for some tubey grind - it's not all about the fuzz!

skydivingninja, bobomatic and K-2 like this.
  6. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    I guess it depends on which "version" of "Doom" you're talking about.

If it's "Doom metal", as in influenced by Black Sabbath, Trouble, Candlemass, etc. playing multiple riffs in songs, using E to C# tunings, then an overdrive will suffice.

If we're talking "DOOOOOOM 0)))))))))))))))", as in influenced by horror movie soundtracks, SUNN 0))))) and other drone style bands, then tune as low as possible, get a fuzz pedal that will remove any note definition, turn your amp gain on full, and purchase some industrial strength ear defenders.

Ellery, alesreaper9, sigterm and 3 others like this.
  7. Yeldarbo

Yeldarbo

May 17, 2018
    I guess ill be referring too black sabbath and the sword inspired.

Ellery likes this.
  8. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    A decent overdrive. Maybe something with a clean/dirty blend option, and something that will give you a "valve-y" warmth to the drive. In other words... "old school".

That style of music, you don't want to have the bass too heavily distorted, more of a "medium gain" type sound, as the bass needs to punch through the guitars & drums. Don't scoop your mids either.

9. Clearly the best choice:

10. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    It also depends on how you're set up in the band.
    IMHO, with a single guitar you can use a much (for want of a better word) 'bigger' sound for the passages when the guitar solos or plays lead parts.
    My favorite pedals for that are the OBNE Haunt Fuzz and the Fuzzrocious Broke Dick Peanut Gallery, plus one low gain overdrive of choice. That sound, however, needs room to breathe.
    As soon as there is a rhythm guitar playing more or less the same things as the bass does, using a huge fat distorted sound is a ticket to mud-town. In this case I myself prefer just a bit of grind, a light sizzle on the top end with retained clarity in the bottom. I think that you have to keep the sound of the band in mind, not your personal sound.
    When rhythm guitar and bass work as a union, the bass more or less extends the rhythm guitar's low end and the guitar takes a major potion of bringing the grind into that union.

11. Damnation Audio MBD-1, Dunwich Volt Thrower, EHX Green Russian Reissue.

Matt Dean likes this.
  12. I have a morley power fuzz and wah cliff burton sig. for sale

13. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    A cranked Porkloin will give you a real wooly tone. Any Green Russian clone will work too. Cathedral's sound always sounded like just tube distortion, so a TS or OCD clone with a low end control will work. Bands like Candlemass and Trouble always buried the bass in low end.

Ellery likes this.
  14. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    Leo smee used an svt /810 with an sd1 for much of the carnival bizarre era up to caravan

15. Check out IdiotBox Effects at Home

Listen to their pedal demo vids for their pedals, some good stuff for bass in my personal opinions.

16. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    On the cheap, the joyo character pedals are great. I love the American sound, as recommended above, but would steer you towards the California sound instead, as the grit is better suited, and it still sounds great with bass.

pellomoco14 likes this.
  17. Also, head over to our corner: the stoner/doom thread.

My doom signal: Jazz Bass -> DOD 250 -> EH deluxe bass big muff -> way huge pork loin

Yeldarbo likes this.
  18. TheSeagoats

TheSeagoats

May 21, 2015
    Maryland
    This is a demo I did for fun once, so it might not be quite traditional as far as doom goes. Doom Full Demo

It's just my p bass (with a SPB-3 pickup) into a modded Boss DS-1. Nothing too fancy but I thought it sounded good. Skip to the end to hear a bass "lead" part.

19. armyadarkness

armyadarkness Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Atlantic City NJ
    I use this discontinued pedal. It wakes the bloody dead and is SUPER versatile. It'll cover ANY freq desired and will rip the face off and spit out any other dist pedal there is.

Very musically though!

Over the last 35 years, I've had it all, from $1000 and on, and this little sucker kills it for bass.

It's all Ive used for the last 10 years... And my bass, amps, and cabs were all built for pure evil.

Try to find a used one. 81qZMnkTqaL._SL1500_.

Crystalman85 and Yeldarbo like this.
  20. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements but would love a few ;-)
    DOD Boneshaker, pure brutality and affordable.
    Source Audio AfterShock, any and all fuzz/overdriven/distortion tones you can ever imagine, little more pricey but oh so worth it.