DOOM/Stoner Distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Hd0521, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Hd0521

Hd0521

Nov 8, 2015
    I’m looking for some suggestions for an always on distortion pedal for the stoner doom band I’m in. I’ve tried all the basic pedals like the boss’, rat, dod 250, sansamp and such. And I’ve searched the past treads but most of them for this genre are pretty dated. Just wondering what’s new out there. It’s a three piece band. I play a P bass with a pick and Dimarzio Model P through a sunn concert bass and matching 215. Thanks in advance!

2. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Riff-finder General Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    You'll probably need to give us more to work with - there's tons of companies doing great dirt boxes, so we'll need to know what your tonal goals (other than "stoner doom") are.

Personally, I'm a big fan of OCD-style overdrives, with the Dunwich Olde Dirty Bass being my favorite. A lot of people also dig Rat-style distortions for doom; Dunwich makes the Volt Thrower, and the Earthbound Audio Iron Pig is popular for that right now as well.

Was there a particular pedal you tried before that you liked best, even if it had some shortcomings? We can probably find something similar that may solve whatever problem you had.

3. Hd0521

Hd0521

Nov 8, 2015
    Tonal goals would be something very mid present. I dig the style of the rat but it seemed pretty scooped. I would prefer bright rather than dark. Something that can be half way articulate. And ca (I already have a wren and cuff pickle pie for the wall of sound type tone) I’ll check out the volt thrower and pig.

4. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    For a three piece Doom band, you should have an armada of dirt pedals!
    I'd recommend looking into everything that has a clean blend so you can sizzle like mad but have a clean low end retained.
    My favorite pedals from my own collection for three piece doom would be:

-MI Audio Blueboy Deluxe MkII.
    This is a guitar low gain Overdrive. The tonestack on the tone pot is so powerful that the lows get too boomy when turned to far towards bass - so stealing lows is really no problem on this one. It's a really nice pedal to add some growl.

-OBNE Haunt Fuzz.
    This has become my go-to Fuzz and made me sell most others. It has two Fuzz character settings, one is a wooly sounding fuzz and the other is more chainsaw-on-crack sounding. It has a gate (for these who are into gated fuzz), and most important, a clean blend. What I really like with this pedal in a three piece is that you can set it quite aggressive and gnarly and then turn down the blend so most of your dry signal passes. The result is a rather clean bass in the mix as long as you play unison with the guitar. When the guitar goes into lead, the sizzle comes through.

-Sansamp BDDI (the programmable with the three presets). This would go last in chain and can be used to add this poweramp distortion on top of the distortion already going in. I found a few settings that are okay'ish in the bedroom, really nice in the mix and just kill when the signal has had an OD before it goes into the Sansamp.

Fuzzrocious Broke Dick Peanut Gallery
    Discontinued and hard to come by, this pedal is just meant to be fed some other OD/Distortion and fatten it up.

I'd slap these on my board, add a reverb and a tuner and be set.

5. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    I've use(d) that same setup. P-Dimarzio-Sunn concert and the Original Volt Thrower with all six diode options and it is unbelievable. Much of the Dunwich line seems to be good for stoner doom stuff.

6. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    VT. Trust me. Plus if you don't jive with it you will not loose money

7. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    Aguilar Agro. I have about 20 dirt pedals, but when playing doomy stuff with a P Bass and looking for an always-on pedal, this is what I reach for. It can be set pretty mild/subtle and gives a great tubey growl.

8. The Blower Box has separate bass and treble controls so you can get a very low-end heavy sound while still having enough brightness from the treble. That's how I run mine and I love it.

9. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto

Jan 11, 2016
    Germany
    Another vote for the Dunwich ODB and Volt Thrower. His Wizard Fuzz is also supposed to be great, but I've never played it.

10. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I’ve played the Wizard Fuzz and it is pretty awesome.

11. Hd0521

Hd0521

Nov 8, 2015
    Thanks all of you for the suggestions. I really dig the wizard fuzz and the volt thrower. There aren’t any for sale tho! I’ve been looking at the agro for awhile. But was skeptical because I haven’t used any of their stuff before. Has anyone tried the mxr m89 bass overdrive?

12. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Birmingham AL
    I own two of your recommendations (but recently sold my Volt Thrower) and fully agree with them. I’ll be fully deaf by 2019 but I’m okay with that!!

13. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Birmingham AL
    Damnation Audio’s MBD-1 is top notch. It’ll certainly be right up your alley..
    Also I know I’ve been name dropping Nuñez Amplification since ordering their Annex Bass Drive pedal but HOLY SMOKES it is absolutely crushing!! Seriously stoked to pair it with my MBD-1 + Rusty Box + B7KU :bassist:

Maxfenderbass and neptoon like this.
  14. Blaargh

Blaargh

Apr 4, 2016

I can vouch for the Dwarfcraft Necromancer as being a pretty ballsy doom machine. It's a Superfuzz variant with a very effective 3 band eq and additional gain. There's no clean blend, but honestly there's enough low end that you don't need one.

If you've got more money than I do, you can get the Silver Rose V2, which is a Necromancer and Dwarfcraft's Eu Claire Thunder (Russian Muff) in parallel.

Attached Files:

Fuzzonaut likes this.
  15. Uncle Hanky

Uncle Hanky

May 10, 2017
    Texas
    You DO definitely need an array of dirt pedals. Try the Joyo American Sound, Joyo Ultimate Drive, and DOD Carcosa.

16. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Kings Bay, GA
    i’m satisfied using different combinations of a darkglass b7k, boss ds-1, and damnation audio mbd-1...doom rarely has it so good...i’ve tried a few others, but for right now, that’s where it’s at for me...i also use delay, chorus, compression and boost in conjunction with the dirt, and i’m pretty happy with it

cataract likes this.
  17. themarshall

themarshall

Jun 26, 2008
    cochrane wi
    I’ve messed with a red llama clone> cmat mods ratified into a Joyo Ultimate Drive. My thought was to run the UD last and always on like you would a preamp. It doesn’t “play nice”.
    Love the UD, and it might work or stack better elsewhere in the chain, but it may not be the best “always on” option.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    Uncle Hanky likes this.
  18. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    I’ve actually been playing a lot of doom the last several months and find I’m not using hardly any effects (I use a Mesa and have an active bass though).

However, I love the grit I get from my Darkglass VMT, B7K and Toneczar Dove combined. The B7K on it’s own is pretty good as well for subtle grit.

For fuzz I’ve been using a Depth Charge or Duality.

19. Tectonic

Tectonic

Oct 14, 2010
    I am surprised that know one has mentioned Blackarts Toneworks.
    I have the Blacksheep.
    Amazing pedal.
    Black Arts Toneworks