1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Doom, Stoner rock style phaser

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mjgasior, May 6, 2017.

1. MXR Phase 90

11 vote(s)
    27.5%
  2. MXR Phase 95

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  3. MXR Phase 100

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  4. Boss PF-3 (flanger)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Boss PH-3 (phaser)

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  6. EHX Bad Stone

10 vote(s)
    25.0%
  7. EHX Small Stone

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  8. TC Electronic Helix Phaser

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  9. Source Audio Lunar Phaser

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mjgasior

mjgasior

Sep 3, 2016
    Krakow, Poland
    Hi guys! Recently I've been messing around with my Zoom MultiStomp MS-60B and saw that the phaser sounds pretty cool in some of our songs. After some research I've found two main candidates for the purchase - the EHX Small Stone and the MXR Phase 90. As said in the title, I need for stoner/doom style of music, so most of the time I'll use the box for a very slow and deep flow. I'm just a little bit worried if with only one knob this is possible, and which one is better? Most of you say - "Phase 90, or better - Phase 95", but as you may know - the Small Stone Recordings (they published a lot of stoner rock compilations) took it's name from the pedal. :D So what is your opinion? The Boss PH-3 looked also cool (many options!), but as it's digital, I'm not that convinced.

I've seen some pedalboards with Bad Stone (more knobs), but read that it has some volume problems (same thing as with Big Muff?).

Unfortunately Pigtronix Envelope Phaser is out of my reach right now.

Maybe the answer is a flanger like Boss PH-3? Or any other good options?

2. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I've been rocking the bad stone reissue; no volume problems... just a semi-loud pop, which I like cause it's so doom.

mjgasior likes this.
  3. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    I just got the Helix a week or so ago. It's a great pedal, but I can't compare it to any others on your list. I can tell you it sounds sick with my Pork Loin and there's a lot of flexibility on board. 2 settings plus the Toneprint. Slow, fast, kinda freaky at extreme settings, no volume loss - the feedback knob is awesome.. Of course Toneprints are fun too.

mjgasior likes this.
  4. Matt Dean

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    The thing I like the most about the Bad Stone is the manual switch which I use with the freq knob to shape tone.

Last edited: May 6, 2017
    alecduncan likes this.
  5. mjgasior

mjgasior

Sep 3, 2016
    Krakow, Poland
    You can leave a vote - it's on the list. :)

6. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove Can we please just groove for a while? Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    OP - have you considered the SA Lunar?

It's got some great sounds out of the box, doesn't tank your low-end, and you can fine tune with the Neuro app (including dialing up chorus/flanger and effectively storing 6 different tones). It's tweakable if you want to dive in, but the standard sounds/controls are great too.

I was searching for phasers and found a shootout thread that included the Lunar, which ended up being the clear winner. The fact that you can go in with the app and EQ the things makes it more flexible than anything else I looked at. Food for thought...

7. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I started off with the Small Stone, but switched to the Phase 90 (block version) for its brighter sound - the EHX is pretty thick and dark. Being able to adjust the speed with your foot on the single knob without the need for an expression pedal is a major plus too.

However after hearing the Bad Stone I would've probably gone for that if I had to choose again! Any of these are way better than the phaser in the Zoom though, I thought that was a real let down.

skydivingninja likes this.
  8. TheMightyEight

TheMightyEight

Mar 23, 2017
    UK
    Best : Moog 12 stage
    Best from list : Small Stone (but would go for a Bad Stone)
    What I use : a REAL slow triangle wave from MP201 manipulating the cut off on MF 101, with the filter closed right down to 20hz, it makes for an INCREDIBLE phasing type effect(s)
    But yeh I voted Bad Stone.
    And apologies for derailing threads and spouting forth the Gospel according to Bob Moog again!

mjgasior likes this.
  9. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    I went with a boss PH-2 awhile back over the 1 or 3 and have been pretty happy. I hear the 3 sounds too digital even though it has extra features, and the 1 is lacking in features but has a great classic sound. The 2 is fairly in between, 2 modes and simple controls. I read it was one of the best phasers for funk but I use it with fuzzed out tones often times and end up with some stoner rock/ doom sounds pretty quickly. Got mine for 40$ used which is a pretty sweet deal. Works better on guitar I would say.

But it works alright on bass too and I have had a lot of fun with it, it just has a relatively high frequency sweep until you get to the last bit of the depth knob's range.

mjgasior likes this.
  10. gpx1200

gpx1200 Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2013
    spencer mass
    I like my source audio mercury flanger, it does flanger, phaser, chorus + 4 band eq, 6 savable presets, Neuro smartphone app...for $150 you can't beat it

mjgasior likes this.
  11. No one here's going to vote for a Boss pedal are they!? Well, I did.

I use the PH-3 with a tap tempo foot switch attached. I can tap to control the length of the sweep, up to 16 seconds, and do it while the phaser is off in preparation for it.

It also sounds nice. I've settled on 8-step mode but the rise and fall settings are also fun to play around with.

Don't be afraid of digital.

mjgasior likes this.
  12. mjgasior

mjgasior

Sep 3, 2016
    Krakow, Poland
    Added this new option. Actually I was thinking about it and I don't know why I have ommited it. :p

Do you have a link?

I kind of like the fact that I can check out what I would probably want (what to search for) before the purchase. :)

Right now it's in the lead, so... :D

But to be true, I'm really surprised how few votes the Phase 90 gets compared to how often it's mentioned during many discussions.

13. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove Can we please just groove for a while? Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    Here's the shootout thread. At that point they only had the SA Orbital (which was a multi-effect modulation unit that was later split into the Lunar, Mercury, and Gemini when they introduced the One Series). The introduction of the smaller pedals is covered in the thread too...

mjgasior likes this.
  14. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    The Phase 90 is more of a classic I believe. So a lot of people have probably moved on to nicer modern/ boutique phasers with more versatility.

I was eying the MXR 100 for awhile, or actually the Biyang PH-8 which is a cheaper china copy:
    s-l1600.
    Never tried either out but the Biyang was pretty tempting for the price of 50$ or so new from china. Hell here is the PH-12 for under 50:
    Biyang PH-12 Electric Guitar MXR Phase Volume Effect Pedal Speed True Bypass New

I love my Boss PH-2 but for the price I wonder if I would have preferred the Biyang in retrospect as it cost barely any more new then the Boss pedal cost used.

15. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    I was on a phaser quest two years ago. At one point, I had the Small Stone, Bad Stone, and Phase 90. Both EHX pedals had a big volume drop when engaged plus the patent EHX loud pop when stepped on. I wound up selling both. The Phase 90 sounded better but lost a lot of the low end so I wound up selling it, too. Now I am phaserless and have let the guitarist handle the phaser duties.

16. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    An ebay seller who builds pedals I follow had a vintage phaser clone up awhile back that was supposedly made for or worked great with bass.

I forget the whole story but someone was working on a custom phaser and ended up with one that had lackluster results on guitar. So a bassist tried it out and found it worked great. I may have butchered the story a bit but it was along those lines. Was tempted to buy it but I was over my limit already and had just scored a cheap boss phaser.

He built it for himself but used a purple LED that in his older eyes couldn't see very well so he listed it to sell to a younger musician :D Apparently our eyes ability to see purple light gets worse over time.

Sadly I can't remember the name of the pedal and it seemed pretty obscure anyways so this was pretty pointless. I could message and ask him if anyone is interested though.

17. Matt Dean

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    One of the best doom stoner fuzz tones I get is wizard fuzz>bad stone>intineo (pre), with the phaser set to manual... see photo below:

IMG_7776.JPG

mjgasior likes this.
  18. fasto

fasto

Mar 4, 2007
    Amsterdam, NL
    i also play stonerrock and voted for the MXR Phase 95, that was my last FX purchase and i like it a lot.

19. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    I think the Blackout Whetstone was designed for exactly this. IIRC it is a Bad Stone or Small Stone clone with a massively built up LFO section and some other upgrades. There's a used one for <$200 out there. Big doom selling point is that the LFO can get down to a 60s sweep.

20. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Also the Psilocybe should be on your list!

Matt Dean likes this.