1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Door split

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by eotpr, Jul 16, 2008.

1. eotpr

eotpr

Jun 25, 2007
    I have a gig Thursday night and we get paid the door. What are the things to look out for on this type of deal? They are supposed to start taking the cover at 9:00 and we start at 10:00. I assume that the doorman will have his buddies and regulars so as far as I can tell we really have no idea what they collect. Are most places honest about this or should we get someone to sit at the door with the people from the club?

2. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    I have 35 years in this biz. All I can say is get ready to get POOCHED.
    Make sure you have someone do a "head-count" so you don't get it too bad.
    I have always done a head count at these type of gigs. If you get 25% in the till when its over I will be amazed.
    Never once has it paid even close to what it should have been.

3. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    +1 Get your brother or sister or friend or whoever you trust to sit at the door and mark down how many people come through. Make it look like you're doing a survey or something if they give you crap for it.

4. All I can say is that if you want your money, have one of your people at the door along with the club's doorman. Then you will, at least, have a chance of getting some of your money. If you know somebody 6' 8" tall and 300 pounds of solid muscle, this might be the gig to bring him along.

5. eotpr

eotpr

Jun 25, 2007
    This will be the first gig with this band and will only be 1 hour. I look at it as a tooth cutter for the band.

6. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I've been on both sides.

Sometimes they screw you, and sometimes you end up with way more than you thought you would make. If you plan on bringing lots of people, then do a quick head count and make sure your numbers line up at the end of the night.

7. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    jeez, we always get someone with the band or related to the band to actualy take the money.

also, they may make you pay for your sound man out of that money.

8. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Years ago one band I was in seemed to get a lot of these "door split" gigs. Sometimes you got the shaft sometimes not (seemed like more often than not). We used to have a band friend use one of those hand-held counter thingies to do a head count. We used to have him right next to the guy at the front door, but a few places we played got kind of pissy about even that much. If you go this route - better have your guy/gal do it from a distance. Some clubs don't appreciate you keeping them honest. :eyebrow:

9. Fret Boiler

Fret Boiler Pity World

Apr 12, 2004
    Purdue University
    If you get the full door, ask the venue if you can supply your own doorman. If you are splitting the door, have a friend there to head-count like these guys above suggest. Good luck.

10. eotpr

eotpr

Jun 25, 2007
    Thanks guys that is what I was afraid of. I just might get my younger brother to watch the door with them. He has bounced in clubs a lot and he is big....about 6'2" and 400 lbs. Not all muscle but he never had any problems convincing poeple to do what he asked when he was bouncing.

what about tipping the sound guy if we are not paying him out of our cut?

11. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Some club owners are very honest and will take care of you on door gigs. Some are shysters and will screw you. For playing only an hour, I wouldn't expect a crazy pay day. I wouldn't worry about tipping the sound engineer if the club is taking care of him/her. If they do a good job, though, let them know. Be personable and easy to work with. That will go a LONG way with an inhouse engineer, because they deal with primadonnas with rockstar complexes on a constant basis.

12. ask around about this particular club's reputation in your area. Here, we have one club that is VERY honest about the head count and door collected. We have another that is "legendary" (if you're in this area, you know why the quotation marks are there ;)) for ripping bands off...

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021