Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dorky music for dorky people

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Alright, this seems like a weird idea for a thread. But what riff/beat/melody in a song cracks you up... and you don't know why. Or perhaps you do...

Everything about "School Days" by Stanley Clarke. The bass, keyboard, guitar... it's funny to me.

A lot of bass riffs I come up with amuse me too though. I would have more, but I'm a complete moron. Thank you goodnight.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    the 80s pretty much

3. i watched the tool "salival" video on LSD and pot earlier this week, and i must say, that weird drum-ish sounding thing at the beginning of stinkfist was amusing. the rest of the song scared me.

also the "DA-da-da DA-da-da da-DA" in gwar's "sexecutioner" is funny.
    sexcellent!!!:D

4. "Dead" by They Might Be Giants .

Actually, most anything by TMBG is good for a giggle.

They always have excellant bassists with them on tour as well- fun shows to catch live.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

On a similar note: Sometimes, when something is really cool, it makes me laugh because of it's coolness. Example, in Meat Sandwich by Gwar the chorus chant, "Slay them all let them come *dun dun dun* let them come..." That's cool.

OOOOOh and Rhapsody. For those of you who don't know rhapsody, they are a metal band with a choir and orchestra behind them. Very dramatic... cracks me up... plus they sing about dragons...

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    fretless5: Are you Bruce Willis?

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "99 Luft Balloons".

Does it get any more cliche?
    (Serious subject matter, though).

8. You've never seen us together in the same room, have you?

Shhhhhhhh.........;)

9. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Bit Bottom by Spinal Tap. Something about the feeling of 3 basses... It's awesome, but it's oddly comical :)

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Oh and the bass synth... THAT is funny.

11. OneCoolDog

OneCoolDog

Oct 15, 2002
    Alabama, USA
    Because I Got High - Afroman
    and
    Clint Eastwood - Gorillaz, but that might be because I remember a friend of mine who hadn't heard it but once doing his impression of it... lol.

12. definitely. that happens to me with any gwar. especially the videos.:D
    also, the riff to "mr freeze" by slayer is kinda funny.

13. the fiddle in zappa's "willy the pimp" gets me every time, too.

14. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Flys on My Dick- Ween

It is just halarious.

15. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    yeah, that is the best part.

I was reading a descriptipon of the song before I DLed it, and it said "With 2 clean bass guitars, and one heavy synth bass, Big Bottom has pleanty of, well.... bottom." I read that, laughed out loud, and Dled the song. Then I laughed more. Great song tho...

Talk about mud flaps, my girl's got 'em!

16. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Anything by journey makes me giggle like a little girl. It's so funny that anyone could take them seriously. Just MHO.

17. Europe - The final countdown

Actually it isn't that bad of a song but it cracks me up.

Most really dirty funk usually cracks me up for like the first 10 seconds and then I realize how awesome it is.

18. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Anything off of this album:

[​IMG]

19. LOL I just saw the video for Seperate Ways last night...lol they were playing air: -drums, -keyboards, -bass, -guitar...lol...

20. Oh yeah! Anything by TMBG is about as dorky as dorky gets, but it's all so GOOD!! Definitely one of my favorites; I've seen them live more than any other band. And yep, good bassists too...I think the old guy (I think his name was Hal something?) had a bit more chops than Weinkauf, but Danny W. is definitely rock-solid.

BTW, if you wanna get into the really dorky TMBG stuff, you can't beat Particle Man and the educational songs like James K. Polk :cool:... and then there's that children's album... :meh: