Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dorky song, cool bass line.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Mar 6, 2001.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Woke up this morning to "You're the One That I want" from the Grease soundtrack. I love that bassline.

There are so many dorky songs with great basslines, I'm sure I'll list more as I think of them. What are your favorites?

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    This is more of a "Recordings" Forum question. That's where it will be moved to.

Will C.:cool:

3. Joe, I used to play "You're The One That I Want" with a band I was in. Cool bass line, indeed.. that was a tricky one.
    Someone did a thread like this before.. it was titled "Cheesy Song, Cool Bass Line."

4. "Last Night A DJ saved my Life" by In Deep - pure disco cheese:D
    also practically anything by Sister Sledge due to Bernard Edwards (Chic might not qualify for the "dorky" category).

5. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Bohemian Rapsody

Terrible songwriting, great bass.

(haha)

6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    "Bust a Move" by Young MC.
    Flea laid down a cool groove for this one.

7. Hey, I like "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "Bust a Move"! Those songs kick ass! What about "We Supply" by Stanley Clarke and Louis Johnson? That song is pure goofiness, but it's got some sweet slappin'!

8. here's another one that probably no-one will have heard of- on "The Great Rock'n Roll Swindle" album by The Sex Pistols there's a disco medley of Sex Pistols songs done by a band caled "The Black Arabs"- very cheesy, but the bass playing's great!

9. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    "Silly Love Songs" by McCartney & Wings
    "Le Freak" by Chic

i could go on and on....

10. how about "D'ya think i'm sexy" by rod stewart?