Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DOS +

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by siedow, Jan 18, 2002.

1. siedow

siedow

Jan 17, 2002
    Canada
    Hi, Mr. Watt. Your bass work over the years has inspired me more than any other bass player around.
    Justamente Tres is a phenomenal album, it's tasteful, flowing, complicated but not over the
    top.

I've been itching to play some solo bass shows but the problem is getting a decent bass sound. I have a cheapie fender precision and a 70's "acoustic" bass amp with a single 15'...they don't make them anymore. I play finger picking style and mostly chords focusing on melodies. I find that it's either too bassy to pick out notes clearly or if tinker with treble, it becomes too trebly..no happy medium.

My question (finally!) is there anything i can do to get a decent tone?? Im planning to play smaller venues and have thought about buying an accoustic bass and going direct through the board..im at a loss. Any suggestions and what do you do with Dos to get those wonderful rich, clean tones live????

I hope kira and you plan to tour in the future ...hopefully stop in toronto (canada)

When you tour for the new solo album, i'll be front row and center at as many candian shows as possible. God bless the watt!!

2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi,

thanks for the nice words, dos is working on a new record now and we have twentyone tunes to work w/for it.

I think what you want to be adjusting is the midrange. there's stompbox eqs you can get econo if the amp's controls are good enough. there's parametric ones and graphic ones. try some out at a music store w/an amp similar to yours. also, try thumping w/your pick hand closer to the bridge for more definition.

on bass, watt