Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dotted note in transcription.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Ben_P, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Ben_P

Ben_P

Oct 2, 2001
    Alberta, Canada
    I have a funk transcription and in it is a note where the dot is directly below it. I'm not refering to a dotted note where all you do is add half the note to it, the dot is right below it.

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Sounds like staccato, in which case you play the note short, as if it were a note of half the value of the original note coupled with a rest of the same value.

For example, a staccato Quarter note would sound like an 8th note & 8th rest, a staccato 8th would sound like a 16th note & 16th rest, etc....

3. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I was going over some notation today and saw a dot above some of the notes and came on here to look for the very thread you posted the link too. thanks much for saving me some time lady blasphemy :D

4. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    A good answer from someone far more knowledgeable than me, but you can also make it more emphasised, not just shorter, or not shorter at all and more emphasised... that's all.

5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Well, not really. That would be an accent, and that's a whole 'nother ball game. Staccato is just that, short.