1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Doube Thumbing (Motion Used)

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Afrokid, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Afrokid

Afrokid

Nov 24, 2006
    When you double thumb you slap the string then proceed to hit the string in an upward motion creating a quick sound after the intial slap. My question is how exactly do i create that second sound with the upward motion? What part of my thumb its actually hitting the string?

2. GrindYourMind

GrindYourMind

Oct 30, 2008
    Look at your right thumbnail. The area directly below and to the left of the nail, more on the top of the finger than the side.

3. wnelson

wnelson

Aug 15, 2007
    dallas,tx
    i usually catch a little bit of the nail on the way back up...of course i dont really thumb down like i would normally...I tend to keep my thumb more parallel with the string when striking down,catching more thumb....for me,its easier to catch the string coming back up.....I always warm up slow, double thumbing a scale or arpeggio,playing each note twice (down/up)..playing it over and over speeding up the tempo as i go.....I no pro at this by any means,but lately ive been applying it to some of my grooves and can tell im definitely getting alot more consistent and its waaaay more fluid.....just start slow and be patient....it all comes in time and practice.........good luck!

edit:

i will also say that 19mm string spacing helps me and my big ole dumb thumb....haha!