1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Double A/B switcher?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Haans, Aug 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Haans

Haans Altruistic nihilist Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    I've been looking for a switcher with (at least) two ins and two outs so I can switch seamlessly between amps and basses. I've found the Carl Martin Route Box, but as far as I can tell, it's very simple - basically some switches and wires. Seems very expensive if that's the case ($150+ over here). The Lehle RMI Basswitch is probably able to do what I wan't, but it's way too expensive (considering it's capabilities are far beyond what I need).

Ideally, I want something like the Carl Martin, possibly with a mute switch. Does it need buffers? Will I just have to build it myself, or does it already exist?

2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    So, two A/B switches and a patch cable?

bongomania and Nev375 like this.
  3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Input AB --> output AB

4. Haans

Oct 31, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    In principle, yes. The added convenience of a single box is preferred, though.

5. Haans

Oct 31, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    The question is if there are other boxes like the CM Route Box, maybe even with more ins/outs and a mute/tuner out, and if the CM is as simple as it seems. Would it be better to build one and add a buffer?

6. Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    DrayMiles and Haans like this.
  7. Haans

Oct 31, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    Thanks, that's close to perfect. Guessing custom builds are no problem either.

8. Happy to help :)

I'm sure custom builds would be no issue. I got an A/B 1-loop switcher with an "always on" tuner mod, so the tuner would always see my signal and only mute when I hit the switch. They were quite quick to reply to my emails and the pedal arrived as ordered. The only bummer is, like I mentioned above, it will take over a month to get your pedal. But hey, thats the tradeoff when something is built by hand and is in high demand!

Haans likes this.
  9. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    image. I use 2 of the Boss AB-2 pedals. There are rails on the side so you can physically connect them.

ThePresident777 and Haans like this.
  10. Haans

Oct 31, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    I'm leaning more and more towards building one that does exactly what I want, based on the CM with an added mute switch and tuner out. Should be simple enough. Also a lot more fun.

11. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    from what i've seen , .. most pedals , from where ever , get it to about the same price as the CM when they have that many features .. !?

like you said , ... buffers and isolation issues are tricky .. !?!

i'd look for a used CM on Evilbay

12. Embra

Embra Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2013
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    You might want to ask James at BrightOnionPedals as well. He makes top quality pedals and has been very willing to do custom stuff for me; I wonder if something that combines this AB Pedal with Loop, Buffer and Tuner Mute with Dual AB Switch would be easy for him to do....

I'd be surprised if James can't build you something that meets your exact requirements - he's quick and probably cheaper than shipping something from the US.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    Haans likes this.
  13. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

I thought morley had one..

14. Haans

Oct 31, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    I might not need a buffer, though. The fx loop will only feature preamps and possibly a compressor.

It shouldn't be a difficult build. I guess the biggest challenge will be to avoid a ground loop from the two amps.

15. Ground loop between amps will be the biggest issue, I'm thinkin'.

Since you have the capability to build it yourself, that seems the way to go. You can either buy two ABY pedals and rehouse them yourself, or you can purchase some utility PCBs from FuzzDog (kit or just the PCB), MusikDing or TH Customs etc.

ABY to YBA

I'd go with buffers on toggles, so you can have either input/output buffered depending on what instrument you're plugging in — always better to have something and hardly if ever need it, than to not have something that's crucial that one time.

I think the TH Customs Processor might do the trick, but I don't think it's isolated. I saw something similar on General Guitar Gadgets, too.

pro-cessor.

What the above diagram doesn't show in the "mixer" graphic is that you should be able to use the "in" to send another signal to amp B. Since it's DIY you can work in your own stomp switches for muting inputs/outputs. You can get version 4 which has nearly everything mounted to the board, or you can get the smaller version 3 with lots of off-board wiring. I picked up the small one, as I didn't like the order of the board-mounted inputs on the larger PCB (IN / OUT / SEND A / RETURN A / SEND B / RETURN B); I like my send/returns sandwiched between the main in/out jacks.

Then there's always Veroboard... RG Keen's ABY may be just the ticket.

spltr2.

I'm guessing you don't need to have the ABY (bass inputs) isolated, just the YBA (to the amps) isolated – that'll cut down on parts/costs/complexity.

Maybe?

Haans likes this.
  16. I had Nose Pedals build me a box with 2 ins and 2 outs and a loop. Throw all your pedals in the loop, then connect your basses and amps to the pedal.

You could use the loop for your tuner pedal and leave it open ended so it doesn't return. That would effectively mute your output. Some tuner pedals have a mute option as well.

If you are running other pedals too, you could do 2 loops - use one for your effects and the other open ended for the tuner.

Haans likes this.
  17. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    That's what duct tape is for or Duck brand tape.

18. Here's mine:

8D2F93C7-3C6B-4DD7-A6B4-8DB3EA1C568D.

Getting a custom made pedal allows you to choose the size of the pedals and where you want all the input jacks. I put my loop on the left side of the pedal and all the ins and outs on the right side.

Haans likes this.