Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Double" "Acoustic" "Upright" Bass -- You're makin' me nervous

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Paul Warburton, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Most of you know i'm an old conservative, at least in terms of basses.
    I've noticed lately that that awful, unhealthy term for our beloved instrument cropping up more and more...The UPRIGHT!!
    I love you all but let's demand full respect for our instrument by NOT using this, or stand-up....You know what I mean. Bass or Double Bass will do....

I know i'm grouchy today and my period just started.....but please, let's do our best on this. :help:

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Paul, aka 'nerves of steel' is getting nervous?

Common man, it's been quiet around here since the 4th but 'silence is golden' !

Why not Violone as it was called in Italy and Germany before they even called it Double Bass or String Bass?

'Upright Bass' is a sign of progress. A man of your years should know that being 'Upright' is like having a good day !.....lol

3. matt macgown

matt macgown Guest

Dec 1, 2003
    Chattanooga, TN
    I plan to be buried in my double bass. That's why I got a 4/4. Brother Dick, the wood worker, is going to remove the neck and scroll for a grave marker, and put a hinge on the back for access, and, if I don't like it there, my egress.

I don't want to be buried in an "upright bass," but in a reclinate double bass. I don't know what plans there are for the bow.

4. I play with a singer who thinks she's being very hip when she refers to it as the "standup acoustical bass."

The "upright" moniker irks me too. As if somehow that wombly little canoe paddle is the precursor to the noble double bass. :rollno:

5. matt macgown

matt macgown Guest

Dec 1, 2003
    Chattanooga, TN
    Is this a "stand - up acoustical vocalist?"

6. Perhaps, but most would prefer it if she just went and sat down somewhere.

7. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    How 'bout Bassus Erectus... will that do? :)

With all due respect, I fail to see the hang-up with references like "upright," stand-up," etc... Big deal. Think of electric bass players out there who take their instrument, their playing and their music as seriously as any Dark Side counterpart -- Seems like most of us have little reservation about labelling the e-bassist's instrument of choice a "slab" or "plank," nor does it seem that many serious electric players themselves have too much of a problem with the nicknames. I fail to see the problem with a little slang now and then...

Not trying to push your buttons, Paul -- I'm having a pretty grouchy week myself... :(

8. Wall Button
    We are kindred spirits. I raised this argument here years ago and lost, big time.
    Mozart's orchestral scores did not say "Upright" or "Acoustic" or "Stand-up", as if our instrument was some deviation from what a "real" bass is. Neither do Beethoven's, nor Schoenberg's, Penderecki's, et al. They say "Bass" or various forms of "Contra" or "Double" bass.
    I say I lost. It would be more accurate to say I was drowned out. Not by DB players.

9. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    This reminds me of an off-color joke, a little levity to cheer up the grumpy Paul and Brent:

Q: What's the difference between a Soprano and a Porsche?
    A: Most musicians have never been in a Porsche.

I'll be here all week.

10. Terms have been coined to differentiate our instrument from others when discussing it (usually with non- musical people):
    Double bass- as opposed to cello
    String bass- as opposed to tuba
    Acoustic bass- as opposed to electric bass
    Upright bass- as opposed to horizontal bass?

Personally, I don't gag on Upright bass. It's terms like Doghouse and Bull Fiddle that make me wanna slap somebody.

11. matt macgown

matt macgown Guest

Dec 1, 2003
    Chattanooga, TN
    Or - when I went to music school long ago - a soprano student from Houlton, Maine looked over my Kay, and asked - "What's that?" (I won't reveal what I told her).

My little Grand daughter calls it my "piano."

Could it be that good serious begets good humor?

12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I play both EBG and DB in one band and the leader always introduces me as playing both "standup and REGULAR bass".

13. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    How about "Ugly Girlfriend" :smug:

14. mpm

mpm

May 10, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Back in the day, the 'standard' for copyists in LA studios was to deliniate parts as "Bass" or "Fender Bass"...

15. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Not just in LA, the same goes for NY. I used to get calls from my answering service (Radio Registry) for either Upright or Fender Bass. Back then if you said Electric Bass, they thought you meant the Ampeg Baby Bass. There were about 4 listings in the Union Book as I remember; 1)String Bass, 2)Fender Bass, 3)Bass Guitar (could mean the old Fender VI that Guitarists use to double the String Bass part with on Records and B'way Shows), and 4)Electric Bass which had alot of the Latin guys with the Baby Bass.

I remember having to tell Producers that I play Electric Bass but not a 'Fender' brand. That was a tough sell at times but never impossible !

I guess it's like calling a Cab and saying "send me a Chevy" and he shows up in a 'Ford'.

What do you do then, walk home?

Upright Bass is just a name. They can call you alot worse Paul........lol .. I would take it and keep walkin...... or Bowin....

16. BigLob

BigLob

Aug 13, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    When my grandpa calls it the "Bass Fiddle" I just look down and grind my teeth, but anythings better than "cello".

17. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I don't really see much wrong with any name as long as it gets everyone on the same topic. That's all the word is for anyhow, idnnit?

18. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Ahh... I've been looking for a good oportunity to post this pic of me and my new standup bass....

These are the clothes I committed myself to wearing the first gig I play with this thing. ...and yeah i'm slightly full of myself, but 3 and half years ago i was a fat guy.

Attached Files:

19. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    :rollno:

20. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...