Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

double and electric bass amplification

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by rimml, Nov 21, 2002.

1. rimml

rimml

Nov 12, 2002
    austria
    How can I combine double bass and electric bass amplification?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Very easily - I know a lot of people who use the same set up - e.g Euphonic Audio stuff for Bass Guitar and Double Bass.

I think that any amp/cab that gives a fairly flat response - i.e. not distorted or "coloured" will do for both.

I use the same setup for bass guitar and EUB with very little problem. On my Eden amp, I find that my EUB sounds best plugged into an aux jack on the back anyway and then my BG goes into the normal front input socket. I just match the volumes using the volume control on my EUB.

3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Yes, I think a neutral-sounding amp and speaker is the best bet for URB- you can always spice up the EQ for electric bass if necessary.

You can sometimes improve the sound you get from an "electric-sounding" bass amp by taking a couple steps. First, you may want to turn down the tweeter, especially the more harsh units. Secondly, it is often the bass guitar amp's preamp that colors the sound-- if you are using an outboard preamp with your URB pickup, plug its output into the amp's Effects Return jack in order to bypass the bass guitar amp's internal preamp.