double and electric bass amplification

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by rimml, Nov 21, 2002.

1. rimml

Nov 12, 2002
    How can I combine double bass and electric bass amplification?
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Very easily - I know a lot of people who use the same set up - e.g Euphonic Audio stuff for Bass Guitar and Double Bass.

I think that any amp/cab that gives a fairly flat response - i.e. not distorted or "coloured" will do for both.

I use the same setup for bass guitar and EUB with very little problem. On my Eden amp, I find that my EUB sounds best plugged into an aux jack on the back anyway and then my BG goes into the normal front input socket. I just match the volumes using the volume control on my EUB.
  3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Yes, I think a neutral-sounding amp and speaker is the best bet for URB- you can always spice up the EQ for electric bass if necessary.

You can sometimes improve the sound you get from an "electric-sounding" bass amp by taking a couple steps. First, you may want to turn down the tweeter, especially the more harsh units. Secondly, it is often the bass guitar amp's preamp that colors the sound-- if you are using an outboard preamp with your URB pickup, plug its output into the amp's Effects Return jack in order to bypass the bass guitar amp's internal preamp.