Double baffle Ampeg B15 cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Troiani, May 29, 2016.

1. Troiani

Troiani

Dec 9, 2006
    Oslo, Norway
    I'm wondering if I can mount a 300 watt speaker in a 1960's double baffle Ampeg B15 cabinet. Those cabinets sound great, but they were designed for a very low wattage speaker. Any ideas?

2. Yes, but I have no credibility.
    Plenty of other experts will come by to discuss this.
    If not pm me.

pie_man_25 and Troiani like this.
  3. as long as it'll fit, you could mount it, yes. I know that the eminence beta and delta 15 speakers are really popular replacements for the double baffle, people say that they sound great and can handle hundreds of watts - I think the beta is rated for 250 RMS, and in the right box can handle almost that excursion-wise. Different speakers are going to sound differently in that box though - could be good, could be crap. The design was revolutionary for its time, but isn't really made for our higher-power high-excursion applications, so a lot of things could happen.

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  4. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

For M.I. use yes but the application and theory of the helmholtz double baffle was much older than the 1960's. The Fender Single Showman cab also used this principle, called the "tone ring" in Fender circles.

pie_man_25 likes this.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Except Fender built the cabs too small. But I have two double baffle cabs with Delta 15a's and they will take a good thrashing and get loud, plus they sound like the old CTS' s Ampeg used back then.

6. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    I have the same speaker that Jimmy has, the Delta 15A is rated at 400W RMS. It isn't the speaker rating that's the issue. Pushing 300W into a double baffle cab could be an issue, it depends on how you are playing.

7. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

I have no problem with my single Showman cab with either an Altec 421AH or an EV 15L even under high power use. The original D140F worked, performed as well. It performed beautifully with a B15 several times, you couldn't "flip its top" ofcourse. I'm not sure what point you have.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
    BassGreaser likes this.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    How much could you crank the 15L before fartout? I imagine the 421a does about 100w before fartout? Just relating my experiences with Fender bass cabs of the day, nothing personal. I've always found too small to crank out beyond a certain point, but sound quite good up to that point.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022