double ball, 5 string, high c, flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by pierce, Feb 26, 2004.

1. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca

i have pulled my hohner bva (5 string steinberger copy), out of the closet, and started experimenting with it, but i'm not keen on the Roundwound low B string set that's on it. i want to restring it with flats, and from e-c.

i am having trouble finding strings that will meet these exact requirements. (e-c, flatwound, double ball end). does anyone have any suggestions? I would also consider the steinberger string adapter, if i could find one. music-yo (gibson online) seems to be eternally "out of stock", and the mighty-mite site doesnt seem to have a steinberger section anymore.

any suggestions?

btw, although i prefer d'addario Chromes, i am not picky for this experiment, any strings that match my needs will do.

2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Good luck. That is going to be a HARD find. The string converter would probably be best.
  3. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Status (Graphite) seems to have a variety of double-ball sets available --
    round, flat, ½-round, and tapes in 4,5, and 6'r sets. You'd probably have
    to contact them though, for an E-C set

I've tried their "regular" 4-string tapes. They're about midway `tween
    Labella and Rotosound tapes, tone-wise
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yay Hohner, even though im probably selling mine to TB member Radio Kaos 64, its a great bass. I dont know what im going to do with the money i get for it though...
  5. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    they at least have a 6 string option, so i can get my high c :bassist: . plus their retro-active basses are sooo d@mn sexy. reminds me of those basses that they made for trace-elliot.

( "Hey! Gibson! Quit buying up all these companies and then letting them go to h3ll!" :spit: ) ie. trace, steinberger, tobias, etc.

figjam, buy a zeta crossover bass, and make me jealous.
  6. Godslave

Dec 16, 2011
    I have a Hohner B2V that I bought in Norfolk, Va., in 1988 that came strung as a tenor bass (EADGC). The only strings I have ever been able to find for them are GHS Bass boomers roundwound light. I wish Rotosound made them, and I wish I could get extra lights, but when you buy a novelty bass, as I like to do, you sometimes have to boil your strings!

7. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Labella makes Flatwounds for double ball ends... They also have a Low-B available, but they need to be made to order basically... I happen to know someone who has them ;)