Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

double ball, 5 string, high c, flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by pierce, Feb 26, 2004.

1. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    hello.

i have pulled my hohner bva (5 string steinberger copy), out of the closet, and started experimenting with it, but i'm not keen on the Roundwound low B string set that's on it. i want to restring it with flats, and from e-c.

i am having trouble finding strings that will meet these exact requirements. (e-c, flatwound, double ball end). does anyone have any suggestions? I would also consider the steinberger string adapter, if i could find one. music-yo (gibson online) seems to be eternally "out of stock", and the mighty-mite site doesnt seem to have a steinberger section anymore.

any suggestions?

btw, although i prefer d'addario Chromes, i am not picky for this experiment, any strings that match my needs will do.

thanks.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Good luck. That is going to be a HARD find. The string converter would probably be best.

3. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Status (Graphite) seems to have a variety of double-ball sets available --
    round, flat, ½-round, and tapes in 4,5, and 6'r sets. You'd probably have
    to contact them though, for an E-C set

I've tried their "regular" 4-string tapes. They're about midway `tween
    Labella and Rotosound tapes, tone-wise

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yay Hohner, even though im probably selling mine to TB member Radio Kaos 64, its a great bass. I dont know what im going to do with the money i get for it though...

5. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    they at least have a 6 string option, so i can get my high c :bassist: . plus their retro-active basses are sooo d@mn sexy. reminds me of those basses that they made for trace-elliot.

( "Hey! Gibson! Quit buying up all these companies and then letting them go to h3ll!" :spit: ) ie. trace, steinberger, tobias, etc.

figjam, buy a zeta crossover bass, and make me jealous.

6. Godslave

Godslave

Dec 16, 2011
    I have a Hohner B2V that I bought in Norfolk, Va., in 1988 that came strung as a tenor bass (EADGC). The only strings I have ever been able to find for them are GHS Bass boomers roundwound light. I wish Rotosound made them, and I wish I could get extra lights, but when you buy a novelty bass, as I like to do, you sometimes have to boil your strings!

;)

7. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    LaBella makes Flatwounds for double ball ends... They also have a Low-B available, but they need to be made to order basically... I happen to know someone who has them ;)