1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Double Ball-ends for a six string?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Fatz Lewinski, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Fatz Lewinski

Fatz Lewinski

Oct 25, 2006
    Hi all,

I own a custom built 6 string bass (Sei Flamboyant). It is a headless instrument and by design requires double ball end strings. I am told that standard strings wil work just as well but I would prefer double ball if possible.

Anyone know of a manufacturer making 6 string sets as standard, either that or offering them as singles.

2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    You can find them at JustStrings.com

I see that Ken Smith makes a set.

3. I own a PBC GTB which uses double ball end strings as well.

It's been a long time since I ordered strings for it, but when I did, I used to order from the Ken Smith factory by calling them direct. They used to keep a pretty good selection in stock and could easily put together custom sets if needed.

4. Fatz Lewinski

Fatz Lewinski

Oct 25, 2006
    Thought of ordering them from the USA but the delivery cost is the price of one set - $35! - then there is the problem of taxes :-(

Thanks for your input guys!

Fatz

5. Talk to Rob Green at Status Graphite (mail@status-graphite.com).

He can sell you strings in bulk with a wide variety of customized gauges, types, etc.

His "Hot Wire" strings are the best sounding and most resilient double-ball strings I have ever played!!!! :)

6. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    LaBella makes a set for 6-string Double Ball end as well. I also found some new old stock sets by Trace Elliot (!) that I've been using for a while. The Ken Smiths are good strings, and they came stock on my PBC 356GTB.

7. Lokire

Lokire Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Seattle, Washington
    They aren't European, but they're still closer to you. Status-Graphite strings. They make all kinds of double-ball sets :)