1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Double bass / 66 mustang fastback fit?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by james condino, Oct 3, 2009.

1. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    About 20 years ago, when I was just a guitar player, I owned a nice '66 mustang fastback and it worked great for my needs- I could get a half dozen instruments in the back. I've been looking at getting another one, but I'm a bass nerd these days. Does anyone know from experience if I can fit a double bass in one for transport. Unlike the coupe models, on a fastback the rear seat folds down to open up straight access to the trunk. If I use an old Kay as an example, will this fit without having the scroll stick out the window as I drive down the road? Thanks for the help.

j.

2. Awesome car. You can make it work. There's never been I car I couldn't get my bass in.

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I think it would work, if I remember the folding seat thing correctly. I'd find a way to make it work!

We see a lot of the current Mustangs on the road here in Hawaii, as tourist's rental cars. They look nice.... until you remember the real deal from the sixties. :cool: I remember when I saw a Boss 302 as a kid... I was in love with that thing. Now, I prefer the cleaner lines of the regular fastback.

4. jstiel

jstiel Jim Stiel

Jun 5, 2004
    Lake Orion, MI
    If the passenger seat reclines, you could probably put it in that seat on its side with the neck pointing towards the back.

5. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    Didn't you put a removable neck on that thing? :D

6. gretchen

gretchen

Oct 8, 2009
    If it's stick it may be a problem. We had to lift the bass off the stick shift every time we needed to shift, but ours was a 95 Mustang.

7. james condino

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Brian:

My new build does have a removable neck- it is off and sitting on the workbench as we speak- ('need to put it back on and string it up for a gig later tonight....try that with hide glue!). But.....who wants to spend the rest of their life only married to just one bass????? Most of the time I have a half dozen or so around the shop and I always seem to be driving to some unknown little towns in the middle of the country to pick up obscure instruments to bring back. Might as well do it in style. If I show up with an old Ford, the reception is always a lot better than if I bring the wife's Subaru....

I haven't even mentioned how often I strap a double bass to the roof rack in between the kayak and cyclocross bike and hit the highway doing 75mph- as crusty as a lot of folks around here are, I know that is a bit too old school for them! ( paul and frog, are you lurking??? :D).

j.

8. 61pollmann

61pollmann

Apr 30, 2005
    Wisconsin
    I personally know of one--a 1955 Porsche Speedster(my first car when I was 19). The neck had to stick partially out of the passenger window. It had no roll-down windows, only side curtains. In January(in Wisconsin), it got a bit cold inside the car, but there was no heater anyway. This was a very spartan car.

George

9. Cool car, best year and model... my fave Mustang, 66 350H w/ 4 on floor. You just gotta make it work!

sorry to Derail, but Any ALCOAs in your shop? Ahem, uhm, well, if so maybe you can call up a car club and find a fastback to see if the ALCOA fits the Pony... There, right back on topic.

10. james condino

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    There is a proud new owner of the cleanest AlCoA that I know of thanks to my help last week, but it went out to the Seattle area.
    j.

11. Bassliner

Bassliner

Mar 15, 2005
    Rotterdam
    First of all, awesome thread ;) (worth reviving a 2007 thread imo; though there are probably more around)
    I'm currently looking around for cars aswell.
    In Holland, being 'self-employed' does bring the benefit of cheap business cars. These would have to be 2 seater vans/wagons/etc. It would cost me only slightly more than a 4 seated Peugeot 106 (hatchback), which actually fits a double bass perfectly.
    I've been looking around at some options now; Dodge RamVan diesel, which would be cheap for taxes, or anything like a Volkswagen Caddy. (and might I add to the caddy; you can't fit your bass straight into that either..)
    However, I absolutely love driving! Especially when its an 'entertaining' car like GTI's and the likes. I've sort of fallen in love with the Fiat Coupe, and was wondering if anyone ever chucked (read; carefully put) their double bass into one of those?