Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Double Bass Amp/Combo help!!!

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by ERIC A, Apr 17, 2005.

1. I am looking to purchase a new Double bass rig. I have been using a GK150, and like it. But, I am looking for a Amp/Combo to take on my louder gigs. I have tried the Acoustic Image combo, but I didn't like it. In order to get close to the sound I wanted, I had to roll off all of the high end. I would like to find an amp that gives me a strong bass response, as well as clarity. I do own an Ampeg Portabass 12" cabinet, so, if you have any head suggestions, that would be great. I am looking to spend about $700.00.

Thanks!!!!!!

2. You've got PM.

3. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    I suggest any Acoustic Image amplifier to drive your cabinet or another cabinet at a later date. I've owned or own just about all Acoustic Image's models, including the combos. I find the combos sound good for practicing, but when playing with others, there are better rigs. However, the amplifiers, which straddle your price range, produce the best sound for acoustic bass I've yet encountered. The features and portability are added bonuses.