1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Double bass and hatchbacks

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by dBerriff, May 6, 2006.

1. dBerriff

dBerriff

Oct 2, 2004
    Oakham, UK
    In your experience, what is the smallest size UK-available car (hatchback or estate) that will transport a double bass? Years ago when I last played an upright I could borrow a van to move it around.

Having got used to a Fender bass I need to think about the practicalities of moving back to the "real thing". I have just about persuaded my wife that we could find room in the house, so transport is the next consideration. I know for sure it will not fit in my Toyota MR2 so that has to go ...

Any comments or advice would be much appreciated.

2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    My teacher told me he used to drive a VW bug for many years. He took the front passenger seat out and the bass fit in with no problem. So there are other options.

Just a thought.

3. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    I bought a toyota echo hatchback last year. I know they didn't have these in the US, but not sure about the UK. Maybe now that it's been re-badged as the "Yaris" it will be more available worldwide.

4. dBerriff

dBerriff

Oct 2, 2004
    Oakham, UK
    If you can get a bass in a Yaris then that is encouraging. Thanks for the info.

5. G-force

G-force

Jul 1, 2004
    oslo Norway
    Just get a trailer and a good tarp...and lots of bungy cords..then you could drive anything..

6. dBerriff

dBerriff

Oct 2, 2004
    Oakham, UK
    I live on a small island and the ferry costs are already high enough without being charged for a trailer as well. Something like a VW Golf or Toyota Corolla seems to be the way to go. :)

7. I have a Focus "Estate" Wagon, it fits easily, with stool and two passengers.

I've also had it in a Toyota Matrix. It don't know what they're called in the UK. It is the Corolla 5dr Hatch sold in the U.S.

8. Dave Whitla

Dave Whitla

Apr 25, 2006
    Ireland
    You should be able to get a double bass into just about any hatchback with the back seat down. The scroll might interfere with the gearshift though so it's usually a good idea to try your bass in it first, if you're buying. Smallest hatchback I ever put my bass in was a 2-door Suzuki Swift (definately a misnamed car)- I had to put something under the neck block to raise the scroll so I could shift gears.

9. dBerriff

dBerriff

Oct 2, 2004
    Oakham, UK
    Thanks Dave. I think a Corolla is the way to go, as I need to change my car anyway.

10. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    if your lucky, your bass isn't HUGE, and the front seat will lay back alot, you can probably fit it in the front seat on its side somehow.

11. In high school I drove a '78 Honda Civic - a rather small car - but I was able to transport a full-sized string bass by laying the passenger seat back and finagling it in as a passenger - neck pointing back - end-pin end up against the dash. I wrapped the seat belt around it and drove carefully - but it was not too much hassle to get it in that way.

This is not THE Civic I drove, but it is pretty close.
    civic1200.

12. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've not driven a car that I couldn't get my bass in. I really like convertibles for the ease of getting the bass in and out (except on rainy days).

13. <<<<I've not driven a car that I couldn't get my bass in.>>>

Me neither, but it can be an ordeal. It goes in my 4dr 91 Saturn SL1, on it side, neck toward rear, but it ain't easy, and you can't see much outa the passenger side window.

Most any hatchback will work tho. Logged many a mile in a Geo Storm, with room for a front seat passenger.

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I drive a Toyota Corolla and I can get a DB in the back, with the rear seats folded down!! :)

15. I know this is an old thread, but I drive a Mustang Hatchback LX and the bass fits fine in it, the neck goes right between the two front seats with the back seats down.

16. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I drove my bass, amp, gear bag, etc around in a VW Golf for years until I blew a head gasket. I know someone who drives his around in a Toyota Prius, which I believe is the same car (hybrid version) as the Echo. I know someone who moves his around in a little Honda sedan, but I don't know how he sees.

Doesn't take much of a car, but I would take my bass to the car lot if I was concerned about it.

17. I got a ride from a fellow bass player to a gig and he drove a Ford Focus hatchback. We fit both basses, us, and one stool. It was a very tight fit.

18. If you can't fit it in the back, you can usually fit it in the front. Put both front seats down, open the passenger's door, slide it in head first (lying on it's back), turn it a bit and then strap it in. I've fit my bass (full size) in sedans, hatches, coupe's (often easier cos of the pillarless windows) and in the front seat of a dual cab ute.

19. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    My Girlfriend has a Mini Cooper. The Bass fits no problem.

20. Reuben

Reuben

Aug 8, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    We want pictures!